Dahi Bhalla or Dahi Vada is a immensely popular Indian chaat dish. Its basically lentil (urad dal) fritters (pakodas) dunked in whipped creamy yogurt and topped with sweet and spicy chutney and some spices. Its tastes best served cold.
Dahi bhalla/vada are same just known differently in different parts of India and can be served as as snack, appetizer or as a side dish with you meal. This popular snack can be found on the road side chaat stalls to high-end restaurant menus.
The base of this dish is Vada (fritter) made of Urad dal which is also know as Medhu Vada. These crispy vadas taste super yumm on their own with side of green chutney. To make it even yummier, soak these vadas in water till soft and then layer with yogurt, chutney and spices.
Now to the recipe..
1 cup white urad dal
1 green chilli
1 inch ginger piece
1 tsp cumin seeds (zeera)
1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
1/2 tsp black salt (kala namak) or regular salt
salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
3-4 cups of beaten curd (add some salt to taste)
Date and tamarind chutney to taste (you can use just tamarind chutney too)
Coriander & mint chutney to taste (optional – you can use simply coriander or mint chutney too)
some roasted cumin seeds powder to taste
some red chili powder to taste (optional)
some chaat masala to taste
- Soak the white urad dal over night and then grind it into a smooth paste using very little water. To this paste add cumin seeds, black salt, asafoetida, salt and mix well.
- Keep stirring this batter for 5 mins in the same direction. This helps to make the vada fluffy and soft.
- Heat sufficient oil in a vessel for deep frying. Once hot add a spoonful of batter to this oil ( as many as you can fry at a time) & deep fry on low to medium heat for 15-20 mins or till the vada has become golden brown. (Tip: Fry the vada on medium heat to allow it to cook from inside too.)
- Drain and remove them on absorbent paper to soak the excess oil.
- Take some water in another vessel and soak these drained vadas in it for atleast 30mins or till they are soft.
- When ready to serve squeeze out the water & arrange them on the serving plate. (Tip: Even after you sequeeze the vadas they should bounce back to their shape which means they are perfect, soft and spongy)
- Add beaten curd on top to cover these vadas completely, followed by tamarind & green chutney
- Sprinkle with roasted cumin seeds powder, some red chilli powder and chaat masala
- You can make the vadas a day or two in advance, allow them to cool off completely and then store them in airtight/zip-lock containers in refrigerator. When you want to serve dip them in warm water and follow the same steps as above to prepare the dish.
- If you want to serve the vadas in a few hours, you can soak them, drain and store in airtight container in refrigerator. When ready to serve just top with yogurt, chutney and spices and you are done.
- If you leave Dahi vada for long it may leave water so preferably add yogurt only when you want to serve.
If you want to serve it for a big gathering then you can arrange the soaked vadas together on the serving dish topped with Curd, cumin seed powder & some red chili powder. Serve the chutneys separately so that your guest can add as much as they like.
That’s it, out Dahi Vada or Dahi Bhalla is ready, Don’t wait any longer and savor these mouth melting treats, Enjoy!!