Looking for a healthy dessert/snack to satisfy your sweet tooth? Well finally a recipe which truly is healthy and tasty – Eggless Banana Chocolate Cake . I call it healthy and I mean it since it has no butter, no oil, no all purpose flour, no regular white or brown sugar and no egg (off course its eggless – duh!!!). This cake is made of whole wheat flour, very ripe bananas, raw unfiltered honey and applesauce (the secret and healthy substitute) and is loaded with lots of chocolate chips and nuts for that taste and texture. – Now isn’t that wonderful?
We loved this cake so much that we don’t mind eating it for breakfast, snack and dessert. The texture of this cake is dense and moist. Stays well for up to a week in refrigerator when stored airtight. Just warm it up for 15-20 secs in microwave before serving and its tastes fabulous with all that melted chocolate acting as a sauce.
Here are a few alternatives – if you mind using oil, swap the applesauce for oil and honey for sugar. Please see notes for more details. You could make it vegan by substituting the honey with sugar as studies show honey is not really vegan. The more ripe your banana is the less sugar/honey will be needed as they sweetness increases as they ripen but at the same time the banana flavor is more pronounced too. You could make this simply without chocolate and nuts but highly highly recommend it as these two definitely takes the taste and texture to the next level.
Now to the recipe…
2 large ripe bananas (approximately 1 cup mashed)
1/4 to 1/2 cup raw unfiltered honey (or to taste) (or white or brown sugar – please see notes)
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (or Oil – please see notes)
1/2 cup water
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 and 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
Preheat the oven to 350F and line a 9 inch round baking dish with parchment paper. Spray with cooking oil and keep aside. Mix the dry ingredients – whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt and keep aside.
In a mixing bowl add the banana and mash them using a fork. Now add the apple sauce and honey, followed by vanilla extract, vinegar and mix till combined.
Now add the dry ingredients into this banana applesauce mixture and mix. It will be thick so add water to it and mix until smooth. Now add the chocolate chips and walnuts and mix again till they are well incorporated in the batter. Pour the batter into the pre-lined baking dish and sprinkle the top with the mini chocolate chips. Bake at 350 for 30-40 mins or until the toothpick inserted in the center of cake comes out clean. Allow to rest in the pan for 10 mins after which transfer onto a cooling rack. Slice and serve warm
- You can use store bought or homemade applesauce.
- To make applesauce, simply steam the peeled and cored apple pieces until fork tender and then puree in blender without using any liquid if possible. That’s our unsweetened applesauce
- Many of you asked if you could replace applesauce and honey and the answer is Yes.
- You can replace applesauce with Oil (1:1). So for this recipe, instead of 1/2 cup apple sauce you can use 1/2 cup of oil (Canola)
- For Honey, you can replace it with White or light brown sugar or mix of both. You could do 1:1 here as well so 1/2 cup of honey can be replaced with 1/2 cup of sugar. Having said that, please taste the batter, sometimes depending on the Banana sweetness you may need more sugar than honey so may be 3/4 cup of sugar.
- Also using Oil and sugar will change the texture of the cake a bit, it will be a little dry compared to using Banana and applesauce.
That’s it, our eggless, healthy and delectable Banana Chocolate Cake is ready. Serve it warm for breakfast, snack or dessert. Enjoy!!