Khaman Dhokla (Gram flour cake) is a popular Gujarati snack & one of my mouth-watering, ‘go to’ dishes when I want to prepare something in a jiffy. I don’t have the patience to wait for 20 mins (which is the time taken by steaming process) so I go for the microwave version which gives me my Khaman in 2 mins -yaaayyy!!
Recently I learnt that Khaman & Dhokla are actually two different food items. Khaman i.e. the recipe I am showing you today is prepared from chana dal/Gram flour & is usually yellow (due to addition of turmeric). Whereas Dhokla is prepared from rice flour (as main ingredient) & is generally white or pale yellow in color. But the name ‘Khaman Dhokla’ is so popular that I decided to label it that way.
For Khaman :
1 cup gram flour (besan)
1 & 1/2 tbsp of semolina (rava)
1 tsp of green chili & ginger paste
1/2 tsp of citric acid (nimbu ke phool) or juice of 1 lemon
3 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 & 1/2 tbsp ENO or fruit salt
1 cup of water
salt to taste
1/2 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
1/2 tsp sesame seeds
1-2 green chillies finely chopped
1 tbsp of oil
Pinch of hing (asafoetida)
few curry leaves
1-2 tbsp of water
additionally 1 tbsp of sugar dissolved in 1/2 cup of water (optional)
- Sift all the dry ingredients (except ENO & ginger chili paste) to get rid of any lump.
- Now add the ginger paste, green chili paste, water & make a lump free batter.
- Add ENO & on top of it add 1 tbsp of water. As as soon as you add water ENO will start to bubble.
- Once the bubbling stops, go ahead & mix the batter well. The Batter will instantly rise & become fluffy. Many think that the Khaman will rise while cooking, that’s not the case, this is the only step when Khaman will rise.
- Grease a microwave safe dish & pour the batter in it. Spread evenly.
- Cook in microwave for 2 mins on High. Allow to stand for 1 min.Poke a tooth pick at the center to check if its done. If the toothpick comes out clean with no batter stuck to it that means our Khaman is ready.
- Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a small vessel & once hot add the mustard seeds. Once they crackle, add the remaining ingredients like sesame seeds, green chilies, hing, curry leaves & stir for a min. Switch off the gas & add 1-2 tbsp of water to the tempering. (Be careful as it may splatter).
- Pour the tempering over the Khaman spreading it evenly.
- Cut the dhokla evenly & garnish with coriander. I like to sprinkle some sugar water on the khaman after cutting it, on the sides, in between the lines & some on top. This helps to retain the moisture & sponginess & also enhances the taste.
- The khaman prepared this way turns out equally nice & porous like you would get with the steaming process. Try it!!
- That’s it wait no longer serve this Instant Khaman with Green Chutney!!