Pohe/Poha (Flattened rice) is a very popular Indian breakfast dish. Its most basic version is prepared with only onions referred to as Onion (kanda or pyaaz) Pohe but you can add potato & green peas to the basic version to make it Kanda Batata Vatana (Onion Potato Green peas) Pohe. This is the way I like to make as then it gives me wholesome dish.
Kanda Batata Vatana Pohe is ideal breakfast, and even brunch option. As this is a dry dish, you can serve it with chutney or sambar or even ketchup. But typically Poha is served garnished with grated coconut & coriander & with a piece of lemon on the side.
There are different types of Poha – paper, thin, thick and Dagdi pohe. I wouldn’t recommend using paper or thin poha for this dish as they break easily and become mushy very easily when soaked in water. Paper and thin poha are best for making chivda (another snack item). Thick and dagdi pohe are best types for making pohe even though they require more time to soak.
2 cups uncooked thick pohe
1 small potato cut into cubes
1 medium sized onion finely chopped
1/2 cup of green peas
2-3 green chilies slit vertically
few curry leaves
1/2 tsp of mustard seeds (rai)
1/2 tsp of cumin seeds (zeera)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
pinch of asafoetida (hing)
1/2 tsp of sugar
salt to taste
1 tbsp lemonjuice (or to taste)
few coriander leaves for garnishing
2-3 tbsp of oil
- Wash the poha thoroughly in a sieve stirring lightly with your hands or spoon. Let it sit so that water drains out completely.
- Once all the water has drained off completely, sprinkle some salt & sugar on the poha. Mix with light hands & keep it aside (ensure not to break the poha granules while mixing).
- In a vessel, heat oil & once hot add the mustard seeds. Once they splutter add the cumin seeds followed by green chilies & curry leaves, saute.
- Add the onions & saute till light pink.
- Then add the potato & green peas. Cover & cook till potato & green peas are cooked.
- Add turmeric, salt, asafoetida & saute again. (add salt only as much required for the onion potato green peas mixture)
- Now add the soaked & drained poha & mix well till all is well combined. Cover & cook for 5 mins & stir again.
- Sprinkle some coriander leaves & lemon juice & mix.
That’s it, our Poha is ready, serve hot!!