Kadhai Paneer is one of the exotic Indian main course recipes that can be churned very quickly & yet looks like you have invested your whole day making it. The high points of this dish is its very colorful due to the addition of capsicum (bell peppers) & at the same time very flavorful too.
Why the name Kadhai Paneer?? In Indian cuisine, the utensil called Kadhai (similar to a wok) is often used to make sabji (main course dish). Paneer cooked in this vessel is popularly referred to as Kadhai Paneer. For this post, I’ve shown the dry version of this dish but in restaurants you mostly get the gravy version. I have cut my onion half in cubes & half finely chopped. Why??? I wanted to match my onions to the capsicums & at the same time wanted to match my onions to the tomatoes for a good sabji masala.
250 gms paneer cut in cubes/triangles
1/4 green capsicum (bell pepper) cut in cubes
1/4 red capsicum (bell pepper) cut in cubes (or use green capsicum instead)
1 onion (1/2 onion cut in cubes & 1/2 finely chopped)
2 tomatoes finely chopped
2 green chilies vertically slit
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp coriander seeds (or 1 tbsp of freshly ground coarse coriander seeds powder)
pinch of asafoetida (hing)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chili powder (or to taste)
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp garam masala (optional)
few coriander leaves finely chopped
1 tbsp of oil
salt to taste
Dry roast the coriander seeds till light brown & you start getting the aroma. Allow them to cool & then grind them to a coarse powder.
- In a vessel, heat oil & once hot add the cumin seeds. Once they start spluttering add the onions.
- Saute for a minute & then add the freshly ground coarse coriander seeds & asafoetida. Saute again till onions are translucent.
- Then add the green chilies & tomatoes. Cover & cook till tomatoes turn soft.
- Now add salt, turmeric, red chili coriander & garam masala powder & saute for a min.
- Now add the red & green capsicums & cook till they are partially done. Retain the crunchiness of the capsicum.
- Add paneer & few coriander leaves & mix till all is well combined.
That’s it, our Kadhai Paneer is ready. Serve it hot with Roti/Chapati/Naan or any Indian bread of your choice.