Pumpkin Streusel Cake is an eggless, mildly spiced, moist, coffee cake that can be served on its own and even better with a side of whipped cream or ice cream. A delicious and ultimate fall treat, suitable for a thanksgiving dessert, Christmas, or just for any celebration!!
It's pumpkin and holiday season so here is a perfect dessert - Pumpkin Streusel Coffee Cake just in time for your Thanksgiving dinner.
The holiday season brings in lots of gatherings and potlucks and sometimes the getting ready and cooking together can get daunting.
Here is an easy dessert recipe that can be baked ahead of time and still taste delicious. Slice and serve with the pumpkin coffee cake some whipped cream or ice cream for that tasty treat!!
About the recipe
Pumpkin Streusel Coffee Cake is an easy, moist, and extremely delicious eggless coffee cake. It is perfect as a fall dessert or breakfast with a cup of tea or coffee.
It is made of two components
- Eggless and moist Pumpkin coffee cake
- Crispy Cinnamon Pecan Streusel Topping
The pumpkin cake is made with canned pumpkin, NO EGGS, and flavored with pumpkin spice, and cinnamon to give it a touch of warmth.
I like the combination of pumpkin and butterscotch chips so I add them to this cake but if you are unable to find these, either add chocolate chips or skip it completely. The taste will vary but still be delicious.
The streusel layer is made with oats, all-purpose flour, butter, oats, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and toasted pecans.
This pumpkin coffee cake is sweet enough yet not overly sweet and the streusel layer gives this otherwise soft and moist cake, added texture and crunch. It's delicious and decadent!!
Let's see how to make the pumpkin streusel coffee cake.
Step by Step Method:
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8X2 inch circular baking pan with parchment paper and spray it with cooking oil and keep ready.
1 - In a mixing bowl, sift all the dry ingredients - all-purpose flour, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
2 -Mix until well combined.
3 - In the dry ingredient bowl, add the wet ingredients - apple sauce, oil, pumpkin puree, white and brown sugar, vanilla extract, sour cream, and milk.
You can either mix all the wet ingredients into a separate bowl first and then add them to the dry or directly add them to the dry as I did.
4 - Mix until well combined. Do not over mix.
5 and 6 - Fold in the butterscotch chips just until they are mixed.
7 - To make the streusel topping - In another mixing bowl add the ingredients listed for streusel topping except for the butterscotch chips - all-purpose flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and toasted pecans.
8 and 9 - Add the butter and using your fingers work it into the oats flout sugar mixture until a coarse mixture is ready. Keep aside
10 - Transfer the prepared cake batter to the lined baking pan.
11 - Sprinkle the streusel crumb mixture evenly over the batter, I prefer using my hands to do this.
12 - Top it with the butterscotch chips, make sure they are spread evenly.
Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for 40-45 mins or until the toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Allow to cool in the pan for 10 mins and then transfer onto the cooking rack or serving plate. Cool completely before cutting it.
This Pumpkin coffee cake with streusel can be served plain with coffee or with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
I prefer to serve this cake slightly warm since it takes it to a whole other level!!
To warm, microwave the cake slice for 10-12 seconds before serving. This makes the cake soft and the butterscotch chips melt giving them a sauce-like consistency. Seriously it's so delicious!!
I've limited the amount of sugar in the Pumpkin Cake as there are many components of sweetness going on like the sugar in the cake, sugar in the streusel, butterscotch chips. Also a little less sweet fits well if you are paring this with ice cream or whipped cream. But you can definitely adjust the sugar amount in the cake to your liking.
I've skipped adding nuts to the cake and just limited them to the streusel but you can add pecans or walnuts to the cake batter if you like that crunch.
Do not overmix the batter or the cake will turn out dense.
My cake was well baked at 45mins. Check using a skewer or toothpick to see if you get wet batter. Don't mistake the melted butterscotch chips for a wet batter. Do not overbake or else it will dry out the cake.
Yes, you can make this 2-3 days ahead of time. Allow to cool completely and store refrigerated. Before serving, warm each slice for 10-12 seconds in the microwave.
Yes, fresh pumpkin puree can be used instead of canned.
You can use a blend of cinnamon powder along with a dash of nutmeg, ginger, and cloves.
No! This cake is meant to be served/eaten with your coffee and tea and hence it's called a coffee cake.
Yes, To make pumpkin streusel muffins line a muffin pan with muffin liners. Fill the liners about ¾ way full and top with a tablespoon of the streusel topping to each muffin. Bake the muffins at 350°F for about 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes clean. Makes about 12 muffins.
Hope you enjoy this Pumpkin Streusel Coffee Cake recipe!! If you give this recipe a try, please rate by clicking stars ⭐️ in the recipe card. Thank you ❤️! You can also follow me on Facebook | Instagram to see what’s cooking in my kitchen!!
Eggless Pumpkin Streusel Coffee Cake
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup oil (using canola)
- 2 tablespoon sour cream or yogurt
- ¼ cup white sugar granulated
- ¼ cup brown sugar using light
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup milk
- ¾ cup butterscotch chips or chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 8 inch circular pan with parchment paper and spray it with cooking oil and keep ready.
To Make Streusel topping
- In a mixing bowl add all the ingredients listed for streusel topping except the butterscotch chips - all purpose flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon, salt and toasted pecans. Mix well.
- Add the butter and using your fingers work it into the oats flour sugar mixture until a coarse mixture is ready. Keep aside
To Make Pumpkin Butterscotch Streusel Cake
- In a mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients - all-purpose flour, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Give it a good mix until all is well combined.
- In the dry ingredient bowl, add the wet ingredients - apple sauce, oil, pumpkin puree, white and brown sugar, vanilla extract, sour cream, milk. Mix until all is well combined. Do not over mix. You can either mix all the wet ingredients into a separate bowl first and then add them to the dry or directly add them to the dry as I did.
- Fold in the butterscotch chips and transfer to the lined baking pan.
- Sprinkle the streusel crumb mixture evenly over the batter followed by butterscotch chips. I prefer doing this with my hands.
- Bake for 45 mins of until the toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 10 mins and then transfer onto the cooling rack or serving plate.
- Serve plain with coffee or with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, Enjoy!!