Please rate the recipe by clicking the stars below
Pumpkin Streusel Cake
Pumpkin Streusel Cake is a delicious, eggless and mildly spiced moist coffee cake that is good served on its own and even better with a side of whipped cream or ice-cream. The perfect dessert for Thanksgiving and holidays!!
To Make Streusel topping
In a mixing bowl add all the ingredients listed for streusel topping except the butterscotch chips - all purpose flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon, salt and toasted pecans. Mix well.
Add the butter and using your fingers work it into the oats flour sugar mixture until a coarse mixture is ready. Keep aside
To Make Pumpkin Butterscotch Streusel Cake
In a mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients - all-purpose flour, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Give it a good mix until all is well combined.
In the dry ingredient bowl, add the wet ingredients - apple sauce, oil, pumpkin puree, white and brown sugar, vanilla extract, sour cream, milk. Mix until all is well combined. Do not over mix. You can either mix all the wet ingredients into a separate bowl first and then add them to the dry or directly add them to the dry as I did.
Fold in the butterscotch chips and transfer to the lined baking pan.
Sprinkle the streusel crumb mixture evenly over the batter followed by butterscotch chips. I prefer doing this with my hands.
Bake for 45 mins of until the toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
Allow to cool in the pan for 10 mins and then transfer onto the cooling rack or serving plate.
Serve plain with coffee or with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, Enjoy!!
- There are many components of sweetness going on in this cake so I've limited the sugar amount in the cake as it doesn't make the entire dessert overly sweet. Also it works well when paired with ice cream or whipped cream. But you can definitely up the sugar amount if you like.
- Crushed pecans can be added to the cake batter too. I've skipped it.
- This cake can be baked ahead of time and stores well covered and stored at room temperature for a couple of days or refrigerate for longer use.
- TIP!!! Microwave the cake slice for 10-12 seconds before serving for that butterscotch sauce (from melted chips). Also makes the cake soft if it's sitting in the fridge.
- To make pumpkin streusel muffins: Line a muffin pan with muffin liners. Fill the liners about ¾ way full and top with a tablespoon of the streusel topping to each muffin. Bake the muffins at 350°F for about 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes clean. Makes about 12 muffins.