Please rate the recipe by clicking the stars below
Vegetarian Black Bean Enchiladas
Delicious vegetarian enchiladas stuffed with black beans, veggies, cheese, topped with homemade red enchilada sauce, some more cheese, and baked. A family favorite and complete meal!!
For the Veggie and Black Bean Filling:
For making the Veggie Black Bean Filling:
In a vessel, heat oil and add the garlic, saute for a couple of seconds and add the onions. Mix and cook till onions turn translucent.
Stir in the veggies like red and green bell pepper, zucchini, yellow squash. Mix and cover and cook till veggies are almost done.
Stir in the spices - oregano, cumin, red chilli powder, salt, and pepper followed by black beans and corn. Mix well and cook covered for another 2-3 mins.
Finish with some lime juice and cilantro. Mix well. The Veggie black beans filling is ready
For making the Enchiladas:
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Heat the tortilla around 10 seconds each side on a pan or you can do all together at once in a microwave for about 15-20 seconds approximately.
Take one tortilla, spread a tbsp of sauce on it. Add the filling and top it with cheese. Roll tightly.
Spread some sauce onto a casserole/baking dish. Place the filled and rolled tortilla seam-side down onto the casserole. Repeat until all the tortilla are complete.
Then pour the sauce over the rolled tortillas. Sprinkle generous amount of cheese.
Bake for 15-20 mins or until the cheese has melted.
Delicious Vegetarian Beans and cheese enchiladas are ready! Serve with side of sour cream, salsa, and guacamole.
- You can use beans and veggies of choice. Preferably cut them in the same size to match the beans.
- The filling can be adjusted as per choice. I like the bean and veggies combination but you can do it all veggies, all beans, or even include meat like chicken if you like.
- Corn or flour tortilla can be used.
- For vegan enchiladas, skip the cheese and they will still taste delicious. Top it with some extra avocado for that creaminess or simply use a non-dairy shredded cheese.
- To make it gluten-free enchiladas, use gluten-free tortillas and sauce.
- Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to a week or frozen (airtight to prevent freezer burns) for 3 months.
- Reheat in a preheated oven at 350°F, covered with foil (to prevent browning) for 10-15 mins (refrigerated) and 25-30 mins (frozen) or until heated through.