Halloween is just around the corner and everywhere its the spooky festive feeling so thought of sharing this cute Mummy Pizza recipe that is so perfect for this occasion. Be it as after school snacks or kids lunch box or as an appetizer for your potluck parties, its sure a recipe for keeps.
The best part about these Mummy pizza is that its loaded with veggies and kids wont even notice. These are really easy to make and you could totally customize it to your liking. I made these using Puff pastry that is readily available in most grocery stores freezer section but you could also use homemade puff pastry dough or Pillsbury dough. Also choose a sauce of your choice – pizza, marinara or even pesto works great.
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) Puff Pastry Sheets, thawed
- 1 cup Pizza sauce or marinara (using Trader Joes pizza sauce)
- 1 and ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup each chopped spinach, red pepper, zucchini, yellow squash and red onions
- 24 slices of pitted ripe black olives
- salt pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp or less dry oregano
- PreHeat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unfold 1 pastry sheet on the work surface and cut it into 3 rectangles along the fold lines. Divide and cut each of these rectangles into 3 equal parts to give total of 9 squares/rectangles.
- Repeat the above step with other pastry sheet too.
- For 12 of the pastry squares, using a rolling pin stretch each to give a rectangle shape (not too thin).
- For remaining 6 parts we are going to use these to make thin strips. So roll these 6 into long thin rectangles and cut each into approximately 10 strips to give a total of 60 strips.
- Place the pastry rectangles onto the baking sheet.
- Spread about 1-2 tablespoon sauce on each pastry rectangle.
- Add about 1-2 tablespoons of cheese and 1-2 tbsp veggie mix.Sprinkle a little salt, pepper and oregano
- Arrange 5 pastry strips on each pastry, placing them slightly askew over the filling to resemble a mummy's bandages.
- Place 2 olive slices on each pastry for the eyes.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the pastries are golden brown. Let the pastries cool on the baking sheet on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
That’s it, our yummy, healthy and and Halloween themed Mummy Pizza are ready. Enjoy!