Aloo Methi (potatoes & fresh Fenugreek leaves) is one of the frequently cooked household dry dishes (sabji) which is relished with chapati/paratha/naan or any other Indian bread of your choice.
For this sabji I prefer to use boiled aloo (potato) as it reduces the cooking time (Fenugreek doesn't take much time to cook like other green leafy veggies). Moreover boiled aloo gives a nice texture to the sabji binding the onion-tomato masala nicely.
2 medium sized potatoes boiled, peeled & chopped into cubes
1 bunch of Fenugreek (methi), separate the leaves from the stem, use leaves only (around a cup & half)
1 teaspoon ginger paste
1 teaspoon garlic paste
1 teaspoon green chili paste
1 medium sized onion finely chopped
2 medium sized tomatoes finely chopped
1 teaspoon cumin seeds (zeera)
salt to taste
1 tablespoon oil for cooking
1 teaspoon red chili powder
½ tablespoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon dry mango powder (Amchur)
½ teaspoon garam masala
- In a pan heat some oil, once hot add the cumin seeds. When they splutter add the onions & saute.
- Once the onions are translucent pink add the ginger, garlic & green chili paste. Saute again for min or till the garlic aroma disappears.
- Now add the tomatoes, mix & cook covered for 5 mins or till the tomatoes turn soft.
- Add all the ingredients listed under Masala along with salt. Mix & saute for 2 more mins.
- Once the mixture is well combined it will start giving out some oil from the sides. Thats the indication to add the Fenugreek (methi) leaves.
- Add a pinch of sugar, saute & cook till fenugreek leaves are cooked.
- Finally add the potatoes, mix well so that the potatoes get well incorporate with the fenugreek & masala. Cover & cook for 5 more minutes.
Tip: if you are using raw potato instead of boiled, add it to the masala before adding fenugreek leaves. When the potato is ¾ cooked then add the fenugreek leaves & cook till both are done.
Sending this recipe to event:
Ep-series-event-fenugreek (Original Announcement page)
Inviting aloo methi...
Spice up the Curry
really fantastic looking subzi
Those clicks are really good and very delicious recipe 🙂
Simple Barracuda Fish Fry / Sheela Fish Fry
-You Too Can Cook Indian Food Recipes