Chocolate drizzled Popcorn is a super easy yet fancy treat to make. Its sweet, salty, crunchy and totally irresistible!!
Chocolate Drizzled Popcorn is a fun recipe to make with kids. Especially now with the summer break going on, this is an interesting project to make with them. They can almost make this on their own under your supervision. The end results are extremely delicious;)
I've used Red, white and pink as my older one chose those colors. But you could make it for any theme by playing with candy and colors plus going creative with toppings. Infact the first time I made these were for my older ones birthday party and they were a huge hit!!! They are super easy to make and are great as treats, gift options, party favors or simply as a snack while watching movies or having get together with family and Friends.
What you will need:
To make Chocolate Drizzled Popcorn, all you need is freshly made popcorn (ready made that come in a bag would work too), mini marshmallows, M&M's (or any similar candy of your choice), melted chocolate (in your favorite colors) and last but not least sprinkles.
You could definitely use the ready made popcorn for this recipe (I did that when I first made this). But highly highly recommend making a fresh batch. Its super easy, inexpensive and there is something so therapeutic about the process of popping corn. All you will need is a deep heavy bottomed pot with glass lid (preferably) as that way you can see the action happening, oil or butter, corn kernels and salt. Yup, that's it!! This is also the first time I made it with my older one and she was mesmerized with the process. We made two batches as we ate the first one just like that. Its difficult to stop eating freshly made popcorn so caution there 🙂
Steps to make Chocolate Drizzled Popcorn
Make a fresh batch of popcorn using ½ cup of unpopped corn. Honestly you don't need exact measurements for this recipe so adjust the quantity to your liking. Layer the popcorn on a baking tray or any large dish in a single layer. Next add the marshmallows spacing them uniformly followed by the M&M's. Melt the candy melts (chocolate), am using red, white and pink in a microwave safe bowl and either using a spoon or piping bag or ziplock bag drizzle the melted chocolate over the popcorn mixture to ensure maximum coating. Let it rest until the chocolate is set/dry and then break them into chunks and store in airtight container. But first pop a few into your mouth 🙂
Chocolate Drizzled Popcorn
- ½ cup of corn kernels
- 2 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- salt to taste
- 1 cup of mini white marshmallows
- 1 cup of M&M's using caramel M&M's
- ¼ cup each of Wilton candy melts in red white and pink
- Sprinkles of choice
To Make Popcorn:
- In a large heavy bottomed pot (preferably with glass lid so you can see the action), heat oil on medium heat.
- Put 2 kernels only, cover and wait for them to pop. This is to gauge the right temperature.
- Remove the pot from the heat, take out the popped corn, add the remaining kernels, close the lid and give it a quick shake.
- Let it sit for 30 seconds to a min and then put it back on the stove. This prevents the oil from getting too hot.
- You should hear the corn popping after a few mins. Make sure to leave some gap in the lid so its not completely airtight which will cause the popped corn to steam and lose its crispiness.
- Give it a shake here and there as needed. (be careful as pot will be hot)
- Once the popping has slowed down, switch off the heat and let the pot sit until you don't hear any popping.
- Sprinkle some salt and store airtight once it has completely cooled down.
To Make Chocolate Drizzled Popcorn:
- Layer the popcorn on a baking tray or any large dish in a single layer.
- Next add the marshmallows spacing them uniformly followed by the M&M's.
- Melt the candy melts (chocolate), am using red, white and pink in a microwave safe bowl in 30 seconds interval.
- Mix until smooth and either using a spoon or piping bag or zip-lock bag drizzle the melted chocolate over the popcorn mixture to ensure maximum coating.
- Let it rest until the chocolate is set/dry and then break them into chunks and store in airtight container. They are good for couple of weeks.
Go creative with combinations and colors.
There is something magical about every bite that makes these irresistible. The crunchy salty popcorn, the chewy sweet marshmallow, the caramel filled M&M's and the chocolate coated popcorn. Its like a party in your mouth, You have to try it!!!