Conchiglie in Tomato & Basil sauce is a basic Italian pasta recipe made using classic combination of tomato & basil leaves. Am a total fan of tomato & basil combination. The tangyness of tomato & sweet flavor of basil strikes the right balance be it a Tomato soup or a pasta sauce like I am making one today.
Conchiglie is commonly known as shell pasta which is clearly evident why from its 'shape'. I prefer to use this pasta type for this dish as the shell shape helps to hold the sauce better but you could use any pasta of your choice.
2 cups of Conchiglie (shell pasta)
2-3 medium cups of tomatoes finely chopped
1 medium sized onion finely chopped
4-5 garlic finely chopped or minced
¼ cup of fresh basil leaves coarsely chopped (reserve few for garnishing)
salt & pepper to taste
½ cup of cheese (I used ¼ cup mozzarella & ¼ cup of Parmigiano Reggiano)
1 tbsp of oil
- In a large vessel, boil sufficient quantity of water & season it well with salt. Add pasta & cook as per package instructions. Drain the pasta, sprinkle some oil & mix to avoid the pasta from sticking to each other. Keep aside.
- In a pan, add oil & along with it add the finely chopped garlic. As the oil starts heating the garlic will infuse its flavor in the oil. Once oil is hot add the chopped onions & saute till translucent pink
- Add the tomatoes, salt & pepper. Mix well & cook covered for 5 mins. Tomatoes will turn slightly soft.
- Now add the basil leaves & cook till the tomatoes get very soft forming a paste consistency.
- Add the boiled pasta & mix well, cover & cook for 2 mins so that everything is well incorporated.
Tip: Reserve ½ cup of starchy water i.e. the water in which you boiled your pasta. Add this water as required to adjust the consistency of your sauce.
That's it, our delicious tangy pasta is ready. Serve it hot topped with some Parmigiano Reggiano & basil leaves.