For the first time, sharing a recipe for our four legged babies and friends - A Dog Birthday Cake made with Apple, Peanut Butter and whole wheat flour. Also along with the recipe a comes an introduction for whom this cake was baked - "Sasha".
Sasha is our first baby and a 5 year old Fawn (yellow) Labrador. I can probably write a whole post on Sasha (let me know if you would like me to do so in comment below) but for today's post will share only some bits of what Sasha likes to eat and the cake recipe I baked on her 5th Birthday. Sasha is not a fussy eater at all and generally eats all types of fruits/veggies but she loves apples, cucumber, tomatoes and yogurt which are a part of her daily meals along with dog food.
Sasha was born in April but she became a part of our family in May. So its like April and May both are her birthday months for us. Baking a cake for her was always on my list. But for some or the other reason we would land up getting her cake and goodies from outside. This year finally I got around to bake her one. Since she loves apples I made a cake with this recipe that had apples.
This Apple Peanut Butter Cake is made from basic ingredients like apples (her favorite), peanut butter, whole wheat flour and baking powder. This was the first time I was feeding Sasha peanut butter so was a little skeptical. But Sasha definitely loved it. She would have probably finished the whole cake in one go. As you can tell from the photos she wanted me to just finish with the photo shoot so that she could eat a piece (oops no the whole cake). Guess that gives me the courage to bake more such treats for her. So you will definitely be seeing more Dog food/treats recipes on this page. Stay Tuned!!
I tasted this cake myself. I would say it tasted pretty good but wasn't that sweet for my taste (obviously)as it had no added sugar just the natural sugars from apple and peanut butter. But other than sweet part it was moist and tasted true to taste i.e. apple and peanut butter. Am sure your four legged babies/friends will love this cake just like mine. So definitely give it a try. If you do try, don't forget to share your pics with me.
Now to the recipe...
3 tbsp peanut butter
1/4 cup whole wheat flour (or brown rice flour)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 to 1/4 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Grease a baking pan (am using 6 inch round pan) and line with parchment paper.
- Finely shred/grate the apple (I did with skin on but you can peel and grate too) and add to bowl along with peanut butter, wheat flour, baking powder and water. Mix everything well.
- Pour it into baking pan and bake for 30-40 mins or until the toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let it cool in the pan for 10 mins or until you can handle it.
- You can decorate it with peanut butter or with apple slices as I did. Dip the apple slices in lemon juice to prevent discoloration.
- The cake stays good for couple of days in refrigerator. So you can divide it into portions and feed.
That's it, our Apple Peanut Butter Cake is ready. Serve it with lots of love, kisses and hugs to your four legged babies. Once again Wishing my cutiepie Sasha a very very Happy Birthday. Muaaah