These Eggless Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are soft, fluffy, and moist! Made with fresh bananas, whole wheat flour, oil, and chocolate chips. These banana choc chip muffins contain no egg, no butter, no yogurt and can be easily made vegan too. They are quick and easy to make using simple pantry ingredients and are delicious for breakfast, snacks, or even dessert!
I’m sharing how to make easy moist banana chocolate chip muffins in the oven, air fryer, and Instant Pot.
Do you have some ripe bananas which you were planning to throw away as they are no longer pretty or look edible? Make these Eggless Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins with them instead.
The riper the banana is the better it is, as then you have to add less sugar. A total win-win!!
These banana and chocolate chip muffins are perfect for breakfast for those super busy mornings or for an after-school or work snack or simply to satisfy your sweet tooth cravings.
Plus they are really easy to make using simple pantry ingredients and can be made ahead of time on weekends to enjoy all week long. They turn out soft, moist, delicious, and healthy too!
Looking for more eggless banana recipes, try this eggless banana bread and eggless banana chocolate cake.
About This Recipe
This is my eggless version of the Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins. They are sweet, fluffy, moist and so delicious!! Perfect for snacks, breakfast, and even dessert.
These muffins are the best and easy way to use those ripe bananas. The batter comes together super quick and you don't need any fancy tools or ingredients to make them.
Like most muffins, these are made with mashed ripe bananas, flour, fat (butter or oil), sugar, and chocolate chips and flavored with cinnamon and vanilla.
I prefer making my banana muffins with whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose to keep them on the healthier side and also use oil instead of butter which helps make them light and moist.
In addition, I also add walnuts for texture but you can skip them to keep it nut-free.
Basically a very customizable banana choc chip muffin recipe that can be made vegan too.
These egg-free banana chocolate chip muffins are kid friendly too! Most kids love the combination of banana and chocolate so these muffins are a huge hit with them as well as us adults.
You can make these ahead of time on weekends and store them in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or they freeze well too!
You can make these banana chocolate chip muffins recipe using either your oven, Air-fryer, or Instant Pot. The recipe remains the same irrespective of the baking technique just the cooking time and method vary. Isn't that wonderful!
So without further ado, let's see how to make moist eggless banana chocolate chip muffins.
Banana: Use ripe and spotty 2 medium-sized bananas. Ripe bananas are naturally sweeter and contain more antioxidants. It also provides moisture to the bread.
Sugar: I prefer light or dark brown sugar as it contains molasses which gives a nice caramel flavor and makes a denser, moister muffin. You can also use granulated white sugar.
Oil: I use canola oil but you can use any neutral-flavored oil. Coconut oil can also be used but that will impart some taste to the muffins. You can also substitute melted butter for oil for a richer buttery flavor.
Milk: I use whole milk but use dairy-free milk to keep it vegan.
Flour: I use whole wheat flour (atta). You can also use all-purpose flour or a mix of both.
Baking soda and Baking powder: Make sure these leavening agents are fresh and not expired.
Flavors: I prefer a combination of vanilla extract, cinnamon powder, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt to flavor the muffins.
Nuts: I have used walnuts, but pecans can be used too or you can use any nuts of choice to add texture. Or skip it to keep it nut-free.
Chocolate chips: I use semi-sweet chocolate chips but you can also add some chocolate chunks (roughly chopped)
Please refer to the recipe card for exact measurements of ingredients.
How To Make Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins (Step By Step Method)
Making the Banana Chocolate Chip Muffin Batter
1 - Line the muffin pan with liners and keep aside. This helps to remove the muffins smoothly without sticking. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2 - In a large mixing bowl add the peeled bananas & mash using a fork till you get a gooey mashed consistency. You can also use your stand mixer with the paddle attachment or hand mixer to mash the bananas.
3 - Stir in the milk, oil, sugar, and vanilla extract.
4 - Whisk until well combined and sugar is dissolved.
5 - Sift all the dry ingredients like flour, baking powder & baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg powder into the same bowl as the wet mixture. Add the chocolate chips and walnuts.
6 - Using a spatula, use the cut-and-fold method to mix until just combined. Do not overmix the batter. Our muffin batter is ready.
7 - Using an ice cream scoop (spray lightly with oil), pour the batter into a pre-lined muffin pan. Add some chocolate chips on top (optional) for decoration.
8 - Bake at 350°F for 20 mins or till done. Check using a toothpick at the 20 mins mark by poking in the center. If the toothpick comes out clean without any batter that means our muffins are ready or else bake for another 2-3 mins until the toothpick comes out clean.
Remove them from the oven & allow the muffin pan to cool for 10 mins and then transfer them onto a cooling rack. Soft and moist banana chocolate chip muffins are ready!!
Making banana chocolate chip muffins in InstantPot
Fill the Instant pot stainless steel pot with 2 cups of water. Place a trivet (preferably with handles) inside.
Pour the batter into the silicone molds and place the mold on the trivet carefully. Alternatively, place them into a round baking dish and then place the dish on the trivet. Cover with foil-lined tissue paper from the inside.
Bake in cake mode or manual mode for 11 mins followed by a quick release after 5 mins. Lift the trivet using the handles and place it on a cooling rack.
Carefully remove the foil. It's ok if the muffins look wet initially, they will settle. Allow cooling. Soft and moist banana chocolate chip muffins are ready!!!
Making banana chocolate chip muffins using Air-Fryer
Fill the batter in silicone molds and place them on the bottom of the air fryer. Bake at 320°F for 12-14 mins or until done i.e. toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean without any batter stuck on it.
They tend to brown more compared to the oven but the texture is so good, crispy on the top and soft and moist inside.
You can lower the temp if you think they are browning more rapidly (may depend on the brand of air fryer).
Remove and let them cool on the cooling rack. They should slide through very easily. Soft and moist banana chocolate chip muffins are ready!!
Serve these spongy, delicious moist eggless Banana chocolate chip muffins on their own or with a cup of tea, coffee, or milk.
They are perfect for breakfast, snacks, or even as a dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
You can store these banana chocolate chip muffins in an air-tight container at room temperature for 2 days or in the refrigerator for 4-5days.
Refrigerated muffins tend to dry out so just pop them in the microwave for 10 seconds or until warm and soft.
You can also freeze these muffins for up to 3 months. To store them in the freezer, wrap them individually in plastic wrap and then place it in a freezer-safe container or ziplock bag. Thaw and warm before serving.
Measure your flour. Do not scoop out of the container directly using the measuring cup. Instead, stir the flour around, spoon it into your measuring cup, and level it off with the back of a knife.
You can mash the bananas chunky or smooth depending on your preference using a fork, hand mixer, or stand mixer (paddle attachment).
You can also mix some flour with the chocolate chips and walnuts before adding to the batter. This helps the chocolate chips and nuts to mix evenly and not settle at the bottom of the muffins while baking. I skipped while shooting this recipe.
Do not overmix the batter once you add the dry ingredients to the wet. That will result in dense, dry, and hard banana muffins. Mix until the dry and wet ingredients are just combined
You can use white or brown sugar or all-purpose flour or whole wheat flour to make these banana choc chip muffins but please note the muffin's color and texture will vary depending on the type of sugar and flour used. Either way it's delicious!!
You can make this banana chocolate chip muffin recipe with or without any nuts or chocolate chips or use either one depending on your preference.
Do not cool the Muffin too long in the muffin pan, they will become soggy!
Frequently Asked Questions
You can ripen bananas by placing them in a brown paper bag with an apple. Or place the unpeeled bananas on a lined baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes at 300º F, or until they turn completely black. Remove and let them cool, then scoop out the flesh with a spoon.
The batter recipe remains the same. Use the mini muffin pan and line them with mini liners, pour the batter, and bake at 350°F for about 12 - 15 minutes.
To make vegan banana chocolate chip muffins simply replace milk with plant-based or dairy-free milk of choice.
More Eggless Banana Recipes
Hope you enjoy this Eggless Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins recipe !! If you try this recipe, please rate it by clicking stars ⭐️ on the recipe card. Thank you ❤️! You can also follow me on Facebook and Instagram to see what’s cooking in my kitchen!!
Eggless Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Muffin pan liners or Baking cups
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour atta or all purpose flour (180grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch ground nutmeg optional
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk or your choice of vegan milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup brown sugar 100 grams
- ½ cup oil (vegetable or canola) or melted butter
- ¼ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup walnuts chopped, optional
Making Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Line the muffin pan with the liners. Preheat oven to 350°F
- Add some flour to the chocolate chips and walnuts & mix. Keep aside. This helps the chocolate chips to mix evenly and not settle at the bottom of the muffins while baking.
- In a large mixing bowl add the peeled bananas and mash using a fork till you get a gooey mashed consistency. You can also use your stand mixer with the paddle attachment or hand mixer to mash the bananas.
- Stir in the milk, oil, sugar, and vanilla extract. Whisk until well combined and sugar is dissolved.
- Sift all the dry ingredients like flour, baking powder & baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg powder into the same bowl as the wet mixture. Add the chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Using a spatula, use the cut-and-fold method to mix until just combined. Do not overmix the batter. Our muffin batter is ready.
- Using an ice cream scoop (spray lightly with oil), pour the batter into a pre-lined muffin pan. Sprinkle some chocolate chips on top (optional).
- Bake for 20 mins in preheated oven or till done. Check using a toothpick at the 20 mins mark by poking in the center. If the toothpick comes out clean without any batter that means our muffins are ready.
- Remove them from the oven & allow the muffin pan to cool for 10 mins or till you can handle it. Soft and moist banana chocolate chip muffins are ready!!
To Bake Muffins Using Instant Pot
- Fill the Instant pot stainless steel pot with 2 cups of water. Place a trivet (preferably with handles) inside.
- Add the batter to silicone molds and place the mold on the trivet carefully. Alternately place them into a round baking dish and then place the dish on the trivet. Cover with a foil-lined with tissue paper from the inside.
- Bake in cake mode or manual mode for 11 mins followed by a quick release after 5 mins.
- Lift the trivet using the handles and place it on a cooling rack. Carefully remove the foil. It’s ok if the muffins look wet initially, they will settle. Allow to cool. Soft and moist banana chocolate chip muffins are ready!!
To Bake Muffins Using Air-Fryer
- Fill the batter in silicone molds and place them on the bottom of the air fryer. Bake at 320 for 12-14 mins or until done i.e. toothpick inserted in the center of muffin comes out clean without any batter stuck on it.
- They tend to brown more compared to oven but the texture is so good, crispy on the top and soft and moist inside. You can lower the temp if you think they are browning more rapidly (may depend on the brand of air fryer).
- Remove and let them cool on the cooling rack. They should slide through very easily. Soft and moist banana chocolate chip muffins are ready!!
- Enjoy these spongy & delicious Banana chocolate muffins warm or room temperature, they taste yummy both ways!!
Update Notes: This post was originally published on Apr 3, 2020, but was republished with, step-by-step photos, tips, and a video in Oct of 2022.
Delish, thank you for the recipe. It was very easy and loved by my family. Came out perfect.
Yay!! Thank you so much, Sangeeta. Glad your family loved it!! It's one of our favorites!
Hi! I just made this today and I must say, the muffins were absolutely delicious! They were incredibly soft and light with just the right amount of sweetness. I was initally skeptical about using wheat flour because I thought it would give an overpowering taste, but there was hardly any difference! I'll definitely be making these again, this time regularly 🙂 Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe!
10/10 would recommend!
Hi Tharra! These are our absolute favorite so happy to know that you liked them too! thanks for sharing your feedback 🙂
Thanks for sharing this recipe...it came out very well...kids loved it 🙂
Hi Shaly, Thank you for trying!! Makes me really happy to know the kids loved it!! Its my kids fav too 🙂
Very nice soft fluffy muffins. I added a tsp of apple cider vinegar to help with the rise 🙂
Thank you Jay! Happy to know you liked them!! Loved the addition of apple cider vinegar.
Nice post, I bookmark your blog because I found very good information on your blog, Thanks for sharing
Quality Services & Training Pvt.Ltd.
Yummy recipe with perfect snaps..
Shweta in the Kitchen
Thanks Bibi for trying it:) Unfortunately the link provided is not working. It says page does not exist. Would love to see the modified recipe by you. Can you try sharing the link again?
Love this! Thank you! I adjusted the recipe a little bit to my liking and here is how it turned out Muffins
Wow.. looks sooo good Shweta. I love all the clicks. Thnx for linking them up.
Hi Shweta! Thank you so much for linking your recipe to my Bake Fest Event & Giveaway!! 🙂
Also, if you want to enter the Amazon Gift Card giveaway, please like/follow & leave a comment on my Facebook or Twitter Page saying you've done so! Sorry for the trouble! 🙂 Its just so that I could shortlist the people who are eligible for the giveaway! 🙂 Thanks a lot.
yummy....thanks for joining Bake Along Challenge #5 😉
Absolutely beautiful presentation Shweta! I feel like baking this right away! 🙂
Do read the rules & participate in Bake Fest Event & Giveaway! if you can. 🙂
Shruti Dhingra Wahi
Malpuas (Indian Pacakes)
yummm...this looks simply lovely..:)