Sevai Upma is a a light, healthy and vegan savory Indian breakfast recipe made with Vermicelli and vegetables.
Sevai Upma is a healthy and popular South Indian breakfast recipe. Sevai is also known as vermicelli or semiya and looks very similar to the pasta variety called spaghetti. This upma is a light, vegan savory recipe made using vermicelli and variety of veggies.
There is also a sweet version called Sevai Kheer made using Vermicelli.
Couple of years ago I started feeling saturated with the usual (read lazy) breakfast options, and I was compelled to start exploring new ones, to feed my soul with freshness to begin my day. And that is when I discovered my Sevai (Vermicelli) Upma recipe.
This light and healthy recipe makes an excellent breakfast or snack option. Serve it with some sambar or chutney and cuts it an awesome brunch option too!! Its quick and easy meal that you can fix in less than 30 mins.
My kids love this recipe!!! Its a very popular one along with pancakes for weekend breakfast. Be it weekend or weekday, mornings are always rushed and busy so at such times, I fall back on my tried and tested recipes from their favorites.
With electric pressure cooking becoming popular, I gave this recipe a try in the instant pot and love the results. I've shared the recipe using both methods - stove top and instant pot.
Sevai Upma - Vermicelli Upma
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds rai
- 1 tsp cumin seeds zeera
- 10-15 curry leaves
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- 2 green chilies finely chopped, optional and to taste
- 1/2 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup mix veggies frozen green peas, carrots and corn kernels
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1 1/2 cup roasted sevai vermicelli
- 1 tsp red chili powder or to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or to taste
- 2 tbsp cilantro leaves finely chopped
- salt to taste
Stove top Method:
- Boil 2-3 cups of water to a pan & add the vermicelli to it along with some salt.
- Cook till they are done (as they cook they will expand in size).
- Drain & soak in cold water to prevent them from cooking further.
- Drain again & sprinkle some oil & mix to prevent them from sticking. Keep aside.
- In a pan or wok, heat oil & when hot add the mustard seeds, when they splutter add the cumin seeds & curry leaves. Be careful as the spluttering will increase.
- Add the onions, green chilies and ginger, saute till onions turn translucent.
- Now add veggies - bell pepper, green peas, carrots, corns. Mix well, cover and cook until almost done.
- Add tomatoes & saute for a minute.
- Mix in the spices, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt and garam masala and cook for a minute.
- Stir in the cooked & drained vermicelli. Cover & cook for a minute.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice & garnish with some coriander leaves. give it one final mix and Sevai Upma is ready to be served.
Instant Pot Method:
- Switch on the instant pot to saute mode and when it reads "hot" add oil to it and once its hot add the mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds splutter stir in the cumin seeds, curry leaves followed by onions, green chilies, and cook till onions turn translucent.
- Now add rest of the ingredients
- veggies - bell pepper, green peas, carrots, corns, tomatoes
- spices - turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala and salt
- Vermicelli and 2 cups of water.
- Mix well and close the lid.
- Cancel saute mode and set it to Manual for 5 mins.
- When its done (instant pot beeps) , do a quick release by releasing the steam.
- Fluff up the sevai upma using a fork.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice & garnish with some coriander leaves. Mix and its ready to be served.
In the instant pot method: - once you open the lid after cooking has completed, cancel the warm function and fluff the upma with a fork. You can take the inner pot out and and cover it with a glass lid for about 5-10 mins before serving.