This creamy vegetable sandwich is an easy back to school recipe that also makes an excellent, quick dinner option. It's creamy, cheesy, loaded with veggies, and super delicious!
Thank you Libby’s Vegetables for sponsoring this post.
Juggling school, work, everyone's schedule, and mealtimes can feel a bit intimidating at times. So I'm always looking for quick, easy yet wholesome recipes that my family can enjoy together.
This creamy vegetable sandwich is one such meal and our favorite these days!
I like using Libby’s Vegetables to create this simple, healthy, and flavorful Back to School recipe.
This vegetable sandwich is
- creamy and cheesy
- loaded with veggies
- very customizable
- a complete and fuss-free meal
- last but not least super delicious!!
Be it lunchtime to weeknight meals, this sandwich is our go-to option since my kids love it!! And it's very easy to make too.
Make the filling, spread it over your favorite bread, and toast or grill it. Can't get easier than this right!!
The veggies are key to this recipe and provide a great subtle crunch to the recipe. But if you have a picky eater, mash the veggies and add to the filling.
I prefer to use Libby’s Vegetable cups for this recipe as they are already pre-cut, cleaned, and cooked a.k.a ready to use making mealtimes super fast and gives me moments to get loved ones back to the table.
I'm all about taking healthy shortcuts that enable me to cook homemade delicious meals in a flash which is the key to keeping my family happy and healthy throughout the school year.
So, without further ado, let's see how to make this delicious vegetable sandwich.
- Dairy - Butter, cream cheese, and shredded cheese (using mozzarella but feel free to replace with your cheese of choice)
- Vegetables - Red onion, Libby’s Diced Carrot Cups, Libby’s Sweet Peas Cups, and Libby’s Whole Kernel Sweet Corn Cups
- Seasoning and aromatics - Garlic, tomato ketchup, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Bread - Oatnut bread but any sliced bread of choice can be used.
Step by Step Instructions
Make the vegetable sandwich spread
1 - Drain each Libby's Vegetables Cup and set aside. In a pan add butter and once it melted add the onions and garlic. Saute until onions are soft and translucent.
2 to 4 - Add in the Italian seasoning, pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Stir in the veggies followed by cilantro. Give it a good mix. Let it cool.
5 to 8 - In a mixing bowl, add softened cream cheese, tomato ketchup, shredded mozzarella, and vegetable filling. Mix until well combined and divide it into 4 portions.
For the Vegetable Sandwich
9 to 12 - Apply butter to both the bread slices facing up. Place one portion of the filling and spread it evenly. Top it with another bread slice. Apply some butter on top.
13 - Heat a grill pan (or griddle) on medium flame and place the sandwich with the butter side down. Cook for 2 mins or until crispy and golden.
14 & 15 - Apply some butter to the side facing up and flip to cook until golden brown.
16 - When both sides have crisped up, remove on a cooling rack (this prevents the sandwich from being soggy).
Delicious, cheesy, and filling Creamy vegetable sandwich is ready!! Cut into half and serve warm!
Recreate this back to school recipe and learn more about Libby’s Vegetables.
I find these sandwiches to be a complete and filling meal on its own but you can pair it with your favorite soup or salad for that cozy meal.
These are also perfect as tea-time sandwiches or for picnics, parties, and potlucks. They don't get soggy and can be easily reheated (in the oven or on a griddle) to crisp up.
One of the fun ways I've been serving these to kids is as finger sandwiches in their lunchbox (even while at home) with some fruits and chips or crackers of choice. They simply love it!!
Hope you enjoy this Creamy Vegetable Sandwich!! If you give this recipe a try, please rate by clicking stars ⭐️ in the recipe card. Thank you ❤️ ! You can also follow me on Facebook | Instagram to see what’s cooking in my kitchen!!
Creamy Vegetable Sandwich
- 8 bread slices
- 4 oz butter for bread slices
For the creamy vegetable filling
- 1 tablespoon butter or oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic minced
- ½ cup chopped onions using red
- ¼ teaspoon Salt adjust to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper adjust to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Red pepper flakes or jalapeños, optional and adjust to taste
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 Libby’s Diced Carrot cup
- 1 Libby’s Sweet Pea cup
- 1 Libby’s Whole Kernel Sweet Corn cup
- 2 tablespoon cilantro chopped
- 4 oz cream cheese room temp or warm in microwave for 10 seconds
- 2 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 cup mozzarella shredded, or cheese of choice
Make the vegetable sandwich spread
- Drain each of Libby's Vegetable Cup and set aside.
- In a pan add butter and once it melted add the onions and garlic. Saute until onions are soft and translucent.
- Stir in the Italian seasoning, pepper flakes, salt, and pepper followed by veggies and cilantro. Give it a good mix and cook for 1-2 mins. Take it off the heat and let it cool slightly.
- In a mixing bowl, add softened cream cheese, tomato ketchup, shredded mozzarella, and vegetable filling. Mix until well combined and divide it into 4 portions.
For the vegetable sandwich
- Apply butter to both the bread slices facing up. Place one portion of the filling and spread it evenly. Top it with another bread slice. Apply some butter on top.
- Heat a grill pan (or griddle) on medium flame and place the sandwich with the butter side down. Cook for 2 mins or until crispy and golden.
- Apply some butter to the side facing up and flip to cook until golden brown.
- When both sides have crisped up, remove on a cooling rack (this prevents the sandwich from being soggy).
- Delicious, cheesy and filling Creamy vegetable sandwich is ready!! Cut into half and serve warm!
- The veggie filling can be made ahead by a day or two in advance and stored in the refrigerator.
- Fresh or frozen veggies, will need more cooking time.
- This sandwich can be served without grilling too but we like it crispy.
- Add some greens to your sandwich to make it extra healthy and delicious.
- Use the cooling rack to place the grilled sandwiches as it helps keep them crispy and prevents them from getting soggy from their own heat.
Hey, thank you for sharing this recipe - it s really good. My husband - who is supposed to be on a diet - keeps making this sandwich for himself :D. Thank you!
Hi Lucia, Makes me so happy to know that, it's one of our favorite sandwich recipes too. Thank you for trying and sharing!
Really delicious thank you so much for the recipe idea you are awesome
Thank you so much!!
Nice recipe! But it would be very helpful if you listed out exactly how much peas, corn, and carrots are needed. (A Libby's Cup appears to be 4oz. Is that what you mean, or do you mean an 8-ounce cup? Etc.)
Hi, thank you! Yes, Libby's cups are 4oz each so you can use half a cup each of these veggies. If using fresh or frozen, the cooking time will vary. Hope this helps.