Spaghetti Aglio E Olio is a very simple and easy traditional Italian pasta dish. "Aglio E Olio" means "Garlic and Oil" in Italian. So as per the name its literally spaghetti pasta cooked with garlic and oil. This dish is made by cooking garlic in oil on low heat till garlic is light brown and slightly crispy. Seasoning can be as simple as salt pepper and parsley or you can add some some herbs of your choice (like I have done for this recipe). This garlic and herbs flavor infused oil is then mixed with spaghetti and topped with Parmigiano Reggiano to add some nutty texture. If you love garlic you will surely love this pasta dish.
This dish is so simple that I was skeptical if my hubby would like it. But to my surprise he not only loved it but by far this is his favorite pasta dish. You can always add some mushrooms or veggies of your choice to this pasta dish. I sometimes like to top it with some Roasted Tomatoes. Cook the pasta and garlic with oil simultaneously and your dish will be ready within 10-15 mins. Its really surprising that a dish can be made so quick with barely any ingredients can taste so good.
Now to the recipe...
Step By Step Stove top Method:
In a large vessel bring water to boil and cook the spaghetti as per package instructions. Once cooked, drain and transfer back into the vessel. Don't wash the spaghetti with water after boiling and draining.
In a pan add the olive oil, bay leaf and finely sliced garlic and saute on low heat till garlic turns light brown and slightly cispy. Ensure not to cook the garlic on high heat or else it will cause garlic to get a burnt flavor. Switch off the gas and add the Italian seasoning, dry parsley, chili flakes to the oil. Stir so that all is mixed well.
Season the spaghetti with salt and pepper to taste. Now pour the garlic, oil and seasoning mix over the cooked spaghetti followed by Parmigiano Reggiano (reserve some for garnishing). Mix well.
Sphaghetti Aglio E Olio
- ¾ lb spaghetti ,thin or regular
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 12 fat cloves garlic ,thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon red chilli flakes or to taste
- 2 teaspoon dry parsley flakes
- 1 cup Parmigiano reggiano grated
- salt and pepper to taste
Stove top Method
- In a large vessel bring water to boil , salt it and cook the spaghetti as per package instructions. Once cooked, drain and transfer back into the vessel. Don't wash the spaghetti with water after boiling and draining.
- While the pasta is cooking - In another pan, add the olive oil, bay leaf and finely sliced garlic ,sprinkle of salt and saute on low heat till garlic turns light brown. Ensure not to cook the garlic on high heat or else it will cause garlic to get a burnt flavor.
- Turn off the heat and add the Italian seasoning, dry parsley, chili flakes to the oil. Stir so that all is mixed well.
- Pour the garlic and herb infused oil along with salt and pepper over the cooked spaghetti.
- Top it with grated Parmigiano Reggiano (reserve some for garnishing). Mix well.
- Cover and let it sit and absorb the flavors for a few minutes before serving. Serve warm!!
Instant Pot/Multipot Method
- Turn on the saute mode on normal and to the pot add the olive oil, bay leaf, finely sliced garlic. Saute until the garlic turns light golden brown. If you think its sticking or burning add tablespoon or two of water. The garlic can burn easily so keep a close watch and turn off saute mode when garlic starts turning brown.
- Turn off the saute mode and add the Italian seasoning, dry parsley, chili flakes to the oil. Stir so that all is mixed well. You can also add the cherry tomatoes at this point.
- Break the spaghetti in half and layer alternately in criss cross manner.
- Add 3.5 cups of veg broth or water, salt and pepper to taste. Using a spoon or spatula press down the spaghetti so all is beneath the water. Give it a quick stir. Close the lid.
- Cook on Manual/Pressure cook mode on HIGH for 5mins followed by Quick Release.
- Give it a good stir . If there are any spaghetti stuck to each other, seperate using tongs or spatula. If there is excess water, turn on the saute mode until the water is absorbed (stirring intermittently)
- Last but not least, add the Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. Mix again.
- Cover and let it sit and absorb the flavors for a few minutes before serving.
That's it, our Spaghetti Aglio E Olio is ready!! Serve by topping it with some more Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and parsley. Enjoy !!
Some times simple things make lovely choice for meals. This is surely one of them, my fav winter food.. yumm !!
It's simple, but it looks so delicious!
Very healthy and yummy spaghetti.
"My Monthly Event - Spotlight: Festive Treats "
I used to have it in pasta mania... Just love it...
Simple and lovely.
I have always been intrigued by this dish and now I now how to make it! thanks buddy for sharing!
Delicious and simple spaghetti love it.