Veg fried rice is a popular Asian recipe made with cooked rice stir-fried with various vegetables and seasoned with soy sauce, aromatics, and spices. It is a flavorful and satisfying vegetarian or vegan meal that comes together in under 30 mins. Serve this vegetable fried rice on its own or as a side dish for a healthy weeknight meal or lunchbox.
I am sharing how to make an Indian-style Chinese Vegetable Fried Rice recipe at home that tastes just as good as a restaurant but is much healthier!
Veg Fried Rice is one of my favorites when I want to make a simple yet tasty and satisfying meal. We love pairing it with Vegetables in hot garlic sauce for a veggie-loaded meal. It is kid-approved!!
What I love about Fried rice is it is easy and quick to make, meal prep friendly, and highly customizable making it ideal for busy weeknight dinners or lunchboxes.
It is a great way to use up leftover rice and ingredients in your fridge and makes a complete meal in itself.
About Fried Rice
Fried rice is a popular and versatile Asian dish, particularly from Chinese cuisine but now famous worldwide.
It is a flavorful and satisfying meal made by stir-frying cooked rice with a variety of ingredients such as vegetables, proteins, sauces, and seasonings.
To make authentic fried rice, start with cooked rice, preferably leftover rice that has been refrigerated overnight. This prevents the rice grains from sticking together and gives a great texture.
The next important step is to use a hot wok or skillet (carbon steel or cast iron) to stir-fry the rice, veggies, and protein, which lends the rice a unique smoky flavor.
Last but not least, Soy sauce is a key ingredient that provides a savory umami flavor and a beautiful dark color to the fried rice.
Fried rice can be a complete meal or served as a side dish alongside other main courses. It is not only delicious but also versatile and customizable. You can easily make it vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, and low-carb to accommodate various dietary preferences.
There are many variations available for fried rice, you can add eggs to make egg-fried rice or add chicken for chicken-fried rice, and so on.
But in this post, I am sharing how to make easy vegetable fried rice using cooked rice stir-fried with aromatics (ginger garlic) and veggies like carrots, beans, cabbage, bell peppers, and onions. It is seasoned with basic spices (salt, pepper) and sauces (soy sauce and vinegar).
Typically restaurants use Ajinomoto (MSG) in their fried rice to enhance the flavor but I don’t prefer using it and the veg fried rice still tastes very delicious!!
Rice: Preferably use long-grain rice like basmati rice or jasmine rice. Fried rice is typically made from cooked rice that is cooled and refrigerated overnight for better texture. You can use leftover rice too! Or replaces rice with finely chopped cauliflower, making it low-carb and suitable for a ketogenic or gluten-free diet.
Vegetables: You can use vegetables of your choice, but for that restaurant-style Chinese fried rice I prefer veggies like carrots, french beans, bell peppers, green onions, and cabbage. Other veggie options are peas, edamame, corn, mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, and bean sprouts.
Garlic and ginger: Use freshly minced garlic and ginger for the best aromatic flavor.
Soy sauce: Provides a savory and umami flavor to the fried rice. I prefer mixing dark soy sauce and regular soy sauce for the best color and flavor combination. For gluten-free options, use Tamari or coconut aminos.
Vinegar: I use chili vinegar which gives the fried rice a slightly spicy and tangy flavor. you can use white vinegar (or rice vinegar) too.
Green Chili Sauce: I prefer adding green chili sauce instead of raw green chili as it adds a slightly spicy kick and a burst of flavor to veg fried rice without altering the color. You can use green chili too or skip it if you dont want it spicy.
Oil: This is used for stir-frying vegetables and rice. I use Avocado oil but you can use vegetable oil, canola oil too.
Spring onions: Chopped spring onions green as a garnish for extra freshness.
Seasonings: Salt, pepper, and sugar to season the dish to taste.
Please refer to the recipe card for exact measurements of ingredients.
How To Make Veg Fried Rice (Stepwise Photos)
Prep Work: You can use leftover rice to make homemade fried rice or make freshly cooked rice from scratch, allow it to cool, and then use it.
You can cook rice on the stovetop but I prefer making Basmati rice in Instant Pot or pressure cooker. This is how I make my Basmati rice.
I use a 1:1 ratio of water and rice for making it in an Instant Pot or pressure cooker. Cooking on a Stove top in a cooking pot will need more water. Time will vary depending on the brand and quality of the rice. Please see details for all methods in the recipe card.
Making Fried Rice
1 - Heat oil in a pan or wok on medium-high heat. Add ginger and garlic and saute for a few seconds.
2 - Stir in the spring onions (white) and saute for 30 seconds.
3 - Add in the veggies - carrots, french beans, red bell pepper, and cabbage. Stir fry on high for 2-3 minutes until they are tender but crisp. Do not overcook the veggies.
4 - Stir in the soy sauce, green chili sauce (or green chili), vinegar, salt, pepper, and sugar. Mix well.
5 and 6 - Now add the cooked rice and gently toss for 2-3 mins until well combined. Taste test and if needed adjust salt and sauces to your preference.
7 and 8 - Garnish with spring onions green. Veg fried rice is ready to serve!
You can serve veg fried rice on its own or topped with a fried egg. You can also pair it with other Indo-Chinese side dishes like Gobi Manchurian, Veg Manchurian, or Vegetables in hot garlic sauce for more deliciousness!
Fried rice can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days. Allow to cool completely before storing.
To reheat, sprinkle water over the homemade fried rice and stir fry in a wok/skillet or microwave for a few seconds until heated through.
Variations For Fried Rice
Here are a few variations you can make to the veg fried rice recipe
Protein - to make fried rice protein-rich and give it more texture, you can add crumbled paneer or tofu, scrambled eggs, chicken, or shrimp. Stir fry the protein of your choice with veggies before adding sauces and rice.
Spicy - If you prefer spicy fried rice, add a tablespoon of Schezwan sauce, or sriracha or sambal olek to the fried rice while adding the spices.
More veggies - You can add more veggies to the vegetable fried rice to make it even more healthier. Some options are peas, edamame, corn, mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, and bean sprouts.
Sesame oil - add some sesame oil at the end for a distinct nutty flavor to the fried rice.
Use cold, cooked rice: For the best texture and to prevent the rice grains from breaking and sticking together, use cooked rice that has been cooled and refrigerated overnight. This helps to dry out the rice and make it easier to stir-fry.
If you plan to make this rice the very same day then cook the rice first, and spread it on a plate evenly (use two dishes if required) to cool completely and then refrigerate for some time.
Prep ingredients in advance: Before you start cooking, make sure to have all your vegetables and other ingredients prepped and chopped. This will ensure a smooth and efficient cooking process.
High-heat stir-fry: Use a large wok or pan and cook over high heat. This helps to quickly stir-fry the vegetables, keeping them crisp and preserving their vibrant colors.
Don't overload the pan: Avoid overcrowding the pan with too many ingredients. Stir-frying in smaller batches allows for better heat distribution and ensures that everything cooks evenly.
Keep ingredients moving: Constantly stir and toss the ingredients while cooking to prevent sticking and ensure even cooking. This also helps to distribute the flavors throughout the dish.
Frequently Asked Questions
Traditionally long-grain rice is used for fried rice, so you can use jasmine rice, basmati rice, or brown rice to suit your taste and dietary preferences. Just make sure to cook the rice beforehand and allow it to cool before stir-frying.
Yes, you can use frozen vegetables which is a convenient option for veg fried rice. Just make sure to thaw them before adding them to the dish. However, highly recommend using fresh vegetables as they provide a better texture and taste.
Yes, you can make veg fried rice beforehand, store it in an airtight container and refrigerate it for a day or two. When reheating, add some water to prevent it from drying out.
Yes, veg fried rice is vegetarian and vegan as it does not contain any meat, seafood, or animal-derived ingredients. Substitute soy sauce with tamari or coconut aminos to make gluten-free fried rice.
More Rice Recipes
More Indo-Chinese Recipes
I hope you enjoy this Veg Fried Rice Recipe !! If you try this recipe, please rate it by clicking stars ⭐️ on the recipe card. Thank you ❤️! You can also follow me on Facebook and Instagram to see what’s cooking in my kitchen!!
Veg Fried Rice Recipe | Vegetable Fried Rice
- 1 cup basmati rice or 3 to 3.5 cups cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ cup spring onions
chopped (~ 6-7 )
- ½ tablespoon ginger minced
- ½ tablespoon garlic minced
- ½ cup carrots finely chopped
- ½ cup french beans finely chopped
- ½ cup cabbage finely chopped
- ½ red bell pepper finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon dark soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chilli vinegar or white vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon green chili sauce optional or use 1 green chili
- ½ teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sugar used white grabulated sugar
- Chop the veggies, and portion out the sauces and spices and keep them ready!
- Cook the basmati rice and let it cool completely. You can also use leftover rice to make fried rice.
How To Cook Basmati Rice:
- Wash the basmati rice thoroughly 3-4 times until the water runs clear.
- You can make rice in Instant Pot or on stove top using traditional pressure cooker or cooking pot.Water ratio and cooking time will vary depending on the brand and quality of rice.
- Instant Pot - Start the pot on Saute mode and once hot, add 1 teaspoon oil followed by 1 cup washed and drained rice, 1 cup water and ¼ teaspoon salt. Mix well.Close the Iid and press manual or pressure cook mode for 5 mins. Followed by quick release. Use the fork to fluff up the rice.
- Pressure cooker - Heat the cooker on medium heat and and once hot, add oil followed by washed and drained rice, 1 cup water and salt. Mix well.Close the Iid and cook for 1 whistle. . Allow natural release. Then fluff with fork.
- Cooking pot - Heat a thick bottomed pan on medium heat and once hot add oil followed by washed and drained rice, 2 to 2.5 cups water and salt.Cook on medium flame and get it to a boil. Cover and cook on low flame till water is absorbed.Check in between if more water is required. Fluff with a fork and see if the rice is cooked. Once done, switch off the flame and let it sit covered for 5 mins. Then fluff with fork.
How To Make Fried Rice
- Heat oil in a pan or wok on medium-high heat. Add ginger and garlic and saute for a few seconds.
- Stir in the spring onions (white) and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add in the veggies - carrots, french beans, red bell pepper, and cabbage. Saute on high for 2-3 minutes until they are tender but crisp. Do not overcook the veggies.
- Stir in the soy sauce, green chili sauce (or green chili), vinegar, salt, pepper, and sugar. Mix well.
- Now add the cooked rice and gently toss for 2-3 mins until well combined. Taste test and if needed adjust salt and sauces to your preference.
- Garnish with spring onions green and Veg fried rice is ready to serve
Update Notes: This post was originally published on Oct 18, 2012, but was republished with, step-by-step instructions, new photos, tips, and a video in Jul of 2023.