Vegetable Fried Rice is a popular Indo-Chinese recipe that is usually served on its own or with a gravy dish. Its a simple dish where left over rice is stir fried with veggies on high heat (wok style). This rice tastes best with left over & cooled rice as the moisture in freshly cooked rice make this dish lumpy by steaming the rice further instead of stir-frying. There are many variations available for this rice, you can add eggs to make egg fried rice or add chicken or meat to give chicken fried rice.
Its my go-to dish when I have some leftover veggies which are not sufficient to make a vegetable dish (sabji) on its own or even when I have some left over rice. Perfect base for any gravy dish not necessarily Indo-Chinese.
Step by Step Method:
In a pan heat oil on medium to high heat & once hot add the spring onions & saute for a minute. Then add the ginger garlic paste & saute for a minute again. Now add the carrots & french beans & saute on high for another minute.
Add red bell pepper & saute for a minute then add cabbage, soya-sauce, vinegar salt & pepper. Saute roughly for 2 mins.
Add the cooked rice & a teaspoon of sesame oil & mix well. Garnish with some spring onion greens.
Vegetable Fried Rice
- 2 tablespoon oil
- ½ cup spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- ½ cup carrots, finely chopped
- ½ cup french beans, finely chopped
- ½ cup cabbage finely chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon chilli vinegar, or white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a pan or wok heat oil on medium to high heat & once hot add the spring onions & saute for a minute. Add the ginger garlic paste & saute for a minute again.
- Add in the carrots, french beans and red bell pepper & saute on high for couple of minutes or until the veggies are ¾th done.
- Stir in the cabbage, soya-sauce, vinegar salt & pepper. Saute roughly for 2 mins.
- Finally add the cooked rice & a teaspoon of sesame oil. Saute until well combined. Garnish with some spring onion greens.
- I would recommend using cooked rice that is refrigerated overnight. I usually cook my rice at night, cool it & then refrigerate it overnight. This helps to prevent the rice from breaking as well as prevents the grains from sticking to each other. If you plan to make this rice the very same day then cook the rice first, spread it on a dish evenly (use two dishes if required) Cool it for some time & then refrigerate it. Then cut all the veggies & prepare the dish. This will give the rice some cooling time.
- Don't over cook the rice.
- Use veggies of your preference & quantity. I like to add red bell pepper as it really enhances the taste & color of the rice.
- Ensure not to overcook the veggies, they should be partially cooked yet crunchy.
That's it out Vegetable Fried Rice is ready, Serve it hot with some Vegetable Manchurian or any gravy of your choice.
Hope you enjoy the Vegetable Fried Rice as much as we do!! If you give this recipe a try, we did love to hear from you . Please let us know your rating and feedback in the comments below. Thank you!
yvs vamsi krishna
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Absolutely delicious extra indigo long grain basmati rice,classic recipe..looks divine.
Hello my name is Putra..
I say thank you so much for this article, my tacher told me to make procedure text about "favorite food" and I got it now! 🙂
Excellent piece of information, I had come to know about your website
from my friend kishore, pune,i have read atleast 8 posts of yours by now,
and let me tell you, your site gives the best and the most interesting
information. This is just the kind of information that i had been looking for,
i'm already your rss reader now and i would regularly watch out for the
new posts, once again hats off to you! Thanx a lot once again, Regards,
Veg Fried Rice
Veg fried rice is our family favorite, Delicious fried rice,colorful too!! Loved the clicks all are so tempting...
thnx for sharing the blog..
lemon rice recipe
Shweta in the Kitchen
Thanks Everyone 🙂
This is very nice recipe. thanks for sharing.
Cosmetic Surgery India