It breaks my heart to hear burgers are catergorized as junk food. They are soooo delicious just like all the members of junk food family. Since we are living in a calorie conscious world we need to watch what we eat, not that I munch a burger every other day but every calorie counts, right. So then why not replace the deep fried patty with a healthy chickpea shallow fried patty!!?? I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome, it tastes so much better that you must try it.
Chickpea is very popularly known as white chana in India & main ingredient of some very famous Indian delicacies like Chole, Chana masala etc. Chickpea is not only a healthy source of proteins, fiber & carbohydrates but also a great source of zinc which is one of most popular hair loss prevention mineral. With so many benefits involved couldn’t think of a better option for my patty, agree?
- Soak the chickpea overnight or for 8hours. When ready drain the water completely & allow to stand for 1/2 hour. We want to ensure the water is drained off else it would make the batter liquidy.
- In a mixer, blend soaked chickpea, garlic, green chilies & spring onions to a smooth batter.
- Remove this batter into a bowl & to it add bread crumbs, lime juice, chaat masala, salt, pepper & coriander leaves.
- Mix well to form a firm dough. Add more bread crumbs if you find the dough is too sticky.
- Apply few drops of oil on your palm & start shaping the chickpea patty. (Oil will prevent the batter from sticking to your hand. You can try & make the patty approximately same or one size smaller than your buns)
- Heat a griddle or pan & coat it with few drops of oil. Once hot, put the pattie on it. Flip once the bottom side is done. Cook the other side too till you get a nice golden brown color.
- That’s it our Chickpea patty is ready, Keep aside.
- Slice your buns horizontally right at the center to get two equal part.
- Now take the flat portion & apply some butter followed by Green chutney.
- Place some lettuce/greens on top, the chutney will act as glue & help to keep the lettuce in place.
- Put the patty over the lettuce & drizzle some chili sauce on top.
- Then place the tomato & onion slices & sprinkle some salt & pepper.
- Now on the inside of the fluffy portion of the bun, apply some butter followed by tomato ketchup & place it on top of the onions.
That’s it, our delicious & healthy burger is ready. Decorate it with a cherry tomato & a toothpick & serve with Baked Fries & salad or your choice.
Stay Healthy, Happy Cooking!!