Onion Capsicum Cheese Pizza is a homemade simplified version of the veggie pizza using ready made store bought pizza base and made from scratch Indian spiced pizza sauce. Its a delicious fusion that you will absolutely love.
For this post, I'll be sharing my Mom's Onion Capsicum Cheese Pizza recipe which I've slightly twisted & given some of my own punches. For keeping it simple I've used the ready made pizza base. Honestly, when I planned to make this pizza recipe I was so hungry that I didn't have the patience to wait & bake the pizza base. Although I love baking breads & pizza crusts, these ready made crusts really come handy for such hurried situations.
Pizza - the famous Italian oven baked round flat-bread has been my all time favorite since childhood days. There are so many varieties of pizza, toppings & crusts available today but I opted to share my mom's recipe since she was the one who introduced me to Pizza.
My pizza journey started during school days when Mom would make pizza to give a break to the routine dinner comprising of dal-chawal (rice with lentils curry) roti sabji (vegetable curry). She made delicious pizza's using ready made pizza base & simple onion tomato masala, cheese & onion capsicum topping. With no oven involved, she would simply cook the crust on a flat griddle (Tava) till nice & crispy. We all loved it. Soon I transitioned from mom & became the official Pizza maker for my family by that I mean I would simply do the job of assembling the pizza 🙂
I still feel this is the best ever Pizza I've had till date which no domino's pizza hut or any other pizza place can beat is the one my Mom makes. Its delicious, simple with no jazzy or fancy ingredients required.
Step By Step Method:
For making Pizza sauce:
In a pan heat the oil & once hot add the bay leaf followed by onions. Saute till onions turn translucent & then add the garlic paste. Cook till garlic smell disappears.
Stir in the tomatoes, cover & cook till they turn soft. Now add spices - turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala, basil leaves, oregano, salt & pepper followed by tomato ketchup & mix well. Cook for approximately 2 mins till all is well combined.
To Assemble the Pizza:
Preheat your oven to 350F. If you are using a pizza stone (as I did) then place it in the oven to get preheated too.
Place your ready made pizza base on a plate or flat surface & apply the pizza sauce on it. Spread evenly. Top it with cheese (As much or little as you like). Followed by onion, red & green capsicum slices placing them all evenly. Sprinkle some parsley on top. Transfer the pizza on the pre-heated pizza stone & bake for 10-15 mins or until done.
To Bake in air fryer - Bake at 370° F for 5-7mins or until the cheese is melted and starting to brown.
That's it our Onion Capsicum Cheese Pizza is ready. Slice it & Serve hot and crispy!!
More delicious Pizza recipes to try:
Hope you enjoy the Onion Capsicum Cheese Pizza as much as we do!! If you give this recipe a try, we did love to hear from you ❤️ Please let us know your rating ⭐️and feedback in the comments below. Thank you!
Onion Capsicum Cheese Pizza
For the Pizza:
- 4 small pizza base using ready-made store bought
- pizza sauce recipe below
- mozzarella cheese as needed
- 1 tsp dry parsley for garnishing optional
- ¼ onion sliced, juliennes
- ½ capsicum red & green bell pepper julienne
For Pizza sauce:
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder or red chilli flakes, adjust to taste
- 1/2 tsp garam masala optional
- 1/2 tsp dry basil leaves or use fresh
- 1/2 tsp dry oregano
- salt & black pepper to taste
To make the pizza sauce:
- In a pan heat the oil & once hot add the bay leaf followed by onions. Saute till onions turn translucent & then add the garlic paste. Cook till garlic smell disappears.
- Stir in the tomatoes, cover & cook till they turn soft.
- Add the tomato ketchup and spices - turmeric, red chilli powder (or chilli flakes), coriander powder, garam masala, basil leaves, oregano, salt & pepper & Mix well. Cook for approximately 2 mins till all is well combined. Cook for another 2 mins.
- Pizza sauce is ready!! Use or store in air tight container in fridge for couple of days.
To Assemble the Pizza:
- Preheat your oven to 400F. If you are using a pizza stone (as I did) then place it in the oven to get preheated too.
- Place your ready made pizza base on a plate or flat surface & apply the pizza sauce on it and spread evenly. Top it with cheese (as much or little as you like).
- Add the veggies- onion, red & green capsicum slices placing them all evenly. Sprinkle some parsley on top.
- To bake in oven: Transfer the pizza on the pre-heated pizza stone & bake for 15-20 mins or until done.
- To bake in air fryer: Transfer pizza to the air fryer and bake at 370° F for 5-7mins or until the cheese is melted and starting to brown.
- If you are using a pizza stone/plate, follow the instructions listed for your stone for preheating it.
- You can also cook the pizza base on a flat griddle until crisp. To do that, first apply some butter to the side on which you will be placing your toppings & roast it till slightly golden. Then flip & place the pizza sauce, cheese & toppings on the golden side & cover & cook on low to medium heat till the crust is golden from below & cheese has melted.