Today when I opened my fridge I saw a variety of left over food items & it became a puzzle for me, with only one aim, have a delicious final product at my lunch table. Sounded like Déjà vu ? This is a common situation for most of us, and I enjoy it because this breeds creativity & innovation, which eventually helps one grow in the art of cooking.
One of my such creations is Onion Tomato Capsicum Rice. It is also possibly one of the best ways to use left over rice. Bell peppers are something which you will always find in my refrigerator. So basically pulled out all what I could reach my hands to. Neither fancy cutting nor cooking & this delectable one pot meal is ready in no time.
This recipe will always remain close to my heart, it was made out of existing left over products (which we mostly eat in isolation), for the first time in my mind & fortunately it turned out good (well, atleast my hubby told me so). Mission accomplished, Yay!!
2 cups of cooked rice
1 small onion cut in julienne
1 tomato cut in julienne
½ green bell pepper (capsicum) cut in julienne
½ red bell pepper (capsicum) cut in julienne
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon ginger paste
1 teaspoon garlic paste
1 teaspoon green chili paste
pinch of asafoetida
¼ teaspoon turmeric
1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
1 teaspoon red chili powder (or to taste)
1 tablespoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon cumin seed powder
½ teaspoon garam masala (optional)
salt to taste
1 tablespoon oil for cooking
few coriander leaves finely chopped
- Heat oil in a vessel & once hot add the bay leaf & cumin seeds.Once they start spluttering add the onions & saute til translucent.
- Add asafoetida, ginger, garlic & green chili paste & cook till raw garlic smell disappears
- Now add the red green bell peppers & tomatoes along with turmeric. Saute
- Once the tomatoes & soft & the bell peppers are partially cooked yet crunchy add the ketchup & red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin seed powder, garam masala & salt. Mix till all is well combined.
- Then add the rice & mix well. Cook covered for a minute. Finally add the coriander & mix.
That's it our super quick & easy Onion Tomato Capsicum Rice is ready serve it hot on its own or with any gravy dish/Raita of your choice.
Stay in-touch with the latest happenings of my Kitchen 🙂
♥ Like "ShwetaintheKitchen" on Facebook!
♥ Follow "ShwetainKitchen" on twitter!
Sending this recipe to events:
Dish Name Starts With O