Tandoori Paneer Tikka is an all time favorite vegetarian starter. Back in India, whenever we went to a restaurant, Paneer Tikka had to be one of the starters by default.
Although I don't have a "Tandoor" (cylindrical clay oven used for cooking & baking) at my place, the modern tandoor a.k.a oven (convection oven) works just fine to get us an equally delicious tikka.
500gms Paneer cut into cubes
½ red capsicum cut in cubes
½ green capsicum cut in cubes
½ red onion cut in cubes
2 tomatoes & cut in cubes (use only the sides not the pulp)
1 cup of curd
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
¼ tsp turmeric
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
½ tsp amchur
½-1 tsp of garam masala
1 tsp Tandoori masala (optional)
½ tsp kasoori methi
1 tbsp of lemon juice
salt & pepper to taste
Some butter/oil to baste
5-6 Bamboo skewers
Baking tray lined with Aluminium Foil & coated with Oil.
Take a cheese cloth & pour 1 cup of curd in this, tie it tight so that the water from the curd starts to drip. Hang this curd for around 2 hours or till the water has completed drained off
Tip:If we don't hang the curd, the water in the curd will make the marinate runny & watery. Hung curd results in thick marinate.
- In a bowl, take this hung curd & to it add all the ingredients listed under marinate to make a smooth paste.
- Divide this marinate into two bowls. One for paneer & other for the veggies. This helps to avoid the paneer from crumbling when we mix.
- Mix well so that the veggies and paneer have a good coating of the marinate. Cover & let this marinate for about 2-3 hours. More the better.
- Dip the bamboo skewers in ice cold water for about 1 hour. This prevents them from burning.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Take one skewer at a time & start arranging the veggies & paneer. Start with tomato followed by green capsicum then paneer, onion & red capsicum (use any combination of your choice).
- Repeat this till you reach the end of skewer. Continue this process for the remaining skews & line them on a baking tray.
- Place the baking tray in the oven & bake for about 15-20 mins.
- Baste the tikka with butter intermittently to prevent it from turning hard.
- You know your Paneer tikka is done when the sides of paneer have turned slightly brown.
That's it!! Our Tasty Tandoori Paneer Tikka is ready!! Serve it hot with some lemon slices & Green Chutney