Another delicious appetizer snack to keep you going this upcoming Holiday Season. Mashed Potato and Veggie Croquettes using Simply Potatoes®. Crispy and crunchy on the outside, soft and creamy on the inside. A sure shot crowd pleaser!
Croquettes are these deep-fried breaded rolls made of mashed potatoes or meat, veggies, cheese, spices, herb, shaped into a cylinder, disk, or oval shape and deep fried. For this recipe I've made a Veggie croquette using Simply Potatoes®Mashed Potatoes.
Using Simply Potatoes®Mashed Potatoes provides a quick base and eliminates the steps to boil and mash your potatoes. Just make sure they are chilled and your are good. They are creamy and so perfect for this croquette recipe.
Being a Mom, adding veggies to anything and everything comes very naturally. You could simply do a mashed potato and cheese croquette but adding veggies gives it that extra nutritional lift. As always, veggies of your choice can be used. I've added finely chopped raw veggies but if that's not what you like, saute the veggies in some butter to soften them a bit.
Like most of my recipes, even these can be made ahead of time. Follow the steps till breading them and freeze. Just when your guest are about to come, take them out for sometime and then fry and serve fresh. You could also fry them before hand and just before serving heat them in a 350F oven for few minutes just until they are hot.
Mashed Potato and Veggie Croquettes
- 1 24 oz Simply Potatoes® Mashed Potatoes traditional
- ¼ cup each of finely chopped carrots broccoli, red bell pepper, red onions
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 4 tbsp plain all purpose flour
- handful of cilantro finely chopped
- salt to taste
- ¼ tsp of black pepper powder
- ½ - 1 cup breadcrumbs or as much needed
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese optional
- Oil for deepfrying
For Breadcrumb Coating:
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- salt and pepper to taste
For making Croquettes:
- In a mixing bowl add the chilled mashed potatoes, finely chopped veggies, cilantro, minced garlic, flour, salt, pepper,cheese and half cup of bread crumbs.
- Mix well so that everything is well combined.
- If the mixture feels too soft or wet, add about ¼ cup of breadcrumbs till it becomes a consistency you can shape.
- Refrigerate this mixture for about 1-2 hours or freeze for about 1 hr.
- Now using 1 to 1&half tbsp of mixture shape them into cylinder/oval rolls and again refrigerate till ready to use.
- Make the slurry of flour, salt, pepper and water. Not too thin, thick enough to coat the croquettes.
- In a flat dish add the breadcrumbs.
- Now one at a time dip the rolls in to the all-purpose flour slurry, drain and roll in to the breadcrumbs ensuring every part of roll is coated evenly.
- Repeat till all the rolls are breaded.
- You can at this point refrigerate the rolls till you want to serve.
- When ready to serve, heat oil on medium low and deep fry these croquettes.
- Alternately you can also freeze the rolls - line them on to baking tray and once frozen, save into ziplock bags for later use.
That's it, Mashed Potato and Veggie Croquettes using Simply Potatoes®. are ready. Serve it with your favorite dipping sauce. Enjoy!!