Tofu Noodle Soup is the vegetarian version of the classic and comforting chicken noodle soup. Its light, healthy, flavorful, nourishing and soul satisfying one pot balanced meal.
My kids love this Tofu Noodle Soup!! I would make the chicken noodle soup often especially during the cold season but my husband is a vegetarian and couldn't eat it so I decided to make the vegetarian chicken noodle soup which off-course doesn't have the chicken but the tofu instead. Its an overall hit!!
What is this Tofu Noodle Soup
Its a light, healthy and low fat broth based soup just like its classic version "The Chicken Noodle Soup". Most importantly, its an easy onepot throw everything together kind of meal which have been my go to these days. This soup has a base of vegetarian broth flavored with garlic, ginger, turmeric, black pepper, oregano, thyme and lemon. Its loaded with tons of veggies which impart their taste to this soup and make it hearty. Last but not least, it has some extra firm tofu to provide the proteins and pasta/noodles for carbs. Overall a complete onepot nourishing meal!!
Flu and Cold Relieving Properties
With the seasons changing, the cold cough and flu are common sights in most homes. My younger is in daycare which means passing germs to each other is a breeze. She often comes home with a runny nose or minor cough. My meal plan immediately changes to this soup. This soup has ginger, turmeric, black pepper and lemon - a combination known for fighting cold and flu symptoms. I find my kids sleep better at night as this helps loosen up some of the congestion and provides the needed boost of immunity to fight the symptoms.
Customization Options for the Noodle Soup
What I also love about this soup is how customizable it is. You could make it a completely vegan and/or gluten free noodle soup by replacing the egg noodles with any chickpea pasta. Traditional chicken noodle soup uses basic veggies of onion, celery and carrots. I've used a few more that my family likes and always almost available in my fridge but you can totally add any veggie of your choice. Instead of Tofu, you can also add paneer or some canned chickpeas or take it back to the basic chicken soup by adding chicken thighs or for faster cooking, rotisseri chicken. Basically you get the picture!! totally customizable, one pot healthy meal that you don't feel heavy after eating.
There is another variation that you can do if you have time which will take the soup to next level. I've added the tofu just like that but if you like to take it up a notch then make the Spicy Tofu on the side while the soup is cooking and add it to the soup while serving, so delicious!!!
Step by Step Method with Instant Pot:
Chop and assemble all the ingredients needed since this soup is very quick to make so have everything prepped. Start the InstantPot on saute mode and add oil followed by ginger garlic. Give it a quick stir and add the onions and cook till they are slightly translucent. Add turmeric and red pepper flakes (optional, I skipped since my kids don't eat spicy) and saute for 30 seconds more.
Now add all the veggies (carrot, celery, green peas, corn and red bell pepper), tomato sauce, bay leaf, spices - salt, pepper, oregano and thyme. Layer the noodles evenly on top of veggies. Add in the vegetable stock or water. Make sure the noodles are beneath the water (press them down). Finally add the tofu pieces and close the Instant Pot lid with Vent to sealing and cook on Manual/Pressure Cook, High for 3 mins. Once done, do a quick release after 5 mins. Stir in the lemon juice and chopped cilantro. Give it a taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. Soup is ready to be served!!
I like to serve this soup hot topped with some Hot Sauce and more freshly cracked black pepper or sometimes red pepper flakes. The noodles have a tendency to soak up the liquid so if you are not serving it immediately the liquid may dry up and the noodles may swell. If that happens, add some more liquid/water/broth, heat and serve.
More Soup and Side Dinner Ideas
Hope you enjoy this Tofu Noodle Soup as much as we do!! If you give this recipe a try, we did love to hear from you ❤️ Please let us know your rating ⭐️and feedback in the comments below. Thank you!
Tofu Noodle Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small Onion chopped
- 1 tsp ginger freshly grated
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced, approximately 1 cup
- 2 celery stalks chopped, approximately 1 cup
- ½ red capsicum chopped, approximately ½ cup
- 2 tbsp green peas frozen
- 2 tbsp corn kernels frozen
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper freshly ground, or to taste
- ½ tsp oregano dry
- ½ tsp thyme leaves dry
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp Red pepper flakes optional, to taste
- 1 bayleaf
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ block Tofu extra firm around 7oz
- 2 cups egg Noodles or pasta of choice
- 5 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1-2 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 1-2 tbsp Lemon juice or to taste
- hotsauce for serving optional, to taste
Instant Pot Method:
- Chop and assemble all the ingredients needed since this soup is very quick to make.
- Start the InstantPot on saute mode and add oil followed by ginger garlic. Give it a quick stir and add the onions. Cook till the onions are slightly translucent.
- Add turmeric (and chilli flakes - optional) and give it a mix till all is well combined.
- Now add all the veggies (carrot, celery, green peas, corn and red bell pepper), tomato sauce, bay leaf, spices - salt, pepper, organo, thyme.
- Layer the noodles evenly on top of veggies.
- Add in the vegetable stock or water.
- Finally add the tofu pieces and close the Instant Pot lid with Vent to sealing and cook on Manual High for 3 mins. Once done, do a quick release after 5 mins.
- Stir in the the lemon juice and chopped cilantro. Give it a taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. Soup is ready to be served!!
Stove Top Method:
- Heat a dutch oven or a soup pot with heavy base and once hot add oil followed by ginger garlic. Give it a quick stir and add the onions. Cook till the onions are slightly translucent.
- Add turmeric and give it a mix till all is well combined.
- Now add all the veggies (carrot, celery, green peas, corn and red bell pepper), tomato sauce, bay leaf, spices - salt, pepper, organo, thyme. Mix, cover and cook for 5 mins or until the veggies are half done. They will finish cooking with the noodles so do not overcook.
- Add vegetable stock or water and bring it to a boil.
- Add the noodles, cover and cook until they are done or al dente. Add more liquid if you think its reduced.
- Finally add the tofu pieces during the last few minutes of the cooking. Finish off with some lemon juice and chopped cilantro. Give it a taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. Soup is ready to be served!!
- You can buy store bought vegetable stock or make your own stock using the better than bouillon base vegetable base.
- If you are unable to find oregano and thyme, use 1 tsp of dry Italian seasoning blend instead.
- If you want to make this using chicken, place 2 boneless and skinless chicken thighs first then noodles such that noodles are under water. Cook on Manual HIGH for 8-10 mins with vent to sealing. Release pressure after 10 mins after done, take out the chicken shred and add it back. Saute for few minutes and soup is ready to serve.
- The cooking time and liquid quantity will vary based on variety of pasta used. Derive pasta cooking time using the time mentioned on pasta pack -1 and that value halved. So if the time mentioned is 11 mins - I'll set the timer for (11-1)/2 =5). Also make sure the pasta is submerged in liquid so use accordingly.
Happy Cooking and Stay Warm!!