Instant Pot Tomato Basil Soup is a quick, delicious, and vegan soup made with fresh tomatoes and basil. Serve it topped with bread croutons, parmesan cheese, or with a grilled cheese sandwich. It's perfect for a quick weeknight dinner or a comforting meal, that your family will love!
I am sharing how to make easy tomato basil soup using the Instant Pot (pressure cooker) and a regular pot on the stovetop.
Tomato basil soup has always been my favorite soup of all and my go-to be it my office cafeteria or for a lunch/brunch buffet at any restaurant.
My go to order combo at Cafe Zupas is their creamy tomato basil soup with their ultimate grilled cheese sandwich. We love it so much that I had to create it at home.
I'm so excited to share my version of this tomato basil soup that is vegan and made in the Instant Pot. It's quick easy, delicious, and makes a comforting family meal!
What is Tomato Basil Soup?
Tomato basil soup is a classic soup made with ripe tomatoes and fresh basil. It's known for its rich and comforting flavor, often blended to a smooth consistency.
There are so many varieties of tomato soups, plain tomato soup, cream of tomato, chunky tomato soup, roasted tomato soup, and this list is never-ending. But I am a big fan of the Tomato Basil soup and am excited to share my version with you all!
You can make this soup with fresh tomatoes or canned tomatoes. Other ingredients like onions, and garlic, are added to enhance the taste.
I prefer making the tomato basil soup in the Instant Pot as it makes it more convenient, a dump-and-go recipe but you can make it in a pot on the stovetop too!
The soup is delicious as is and vegan but if you like a creamy tomato basil soup, add in some heavy whipping cream or coconut cream or coconut milk to keep it vegan.
Serve it hot topped further cream, parmesan cheese, or crouton, or with a side of grilled cheese for a light comforting meal.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- a dump-and-go recipe
- vegan and gluten-free
- made without cream, butter, or flour
- can be made with fresh tomatoes or canned tomatoes
- meal prep and freezer-friendly
- perfect cozy meal
Tomatoes: You can use fresh red ripe tomatoes (mix of Roma and tomatoes on the wine) or canned, whole peeled San Marzano tomatoes.
Basil leaves: Fresh basil leaves add a wonderful flavor and aroma to this soup but you can also use dried basil when fresh is not available.
Aromatics: chopped onion and minced garlic help to deepen the flavor of the tomato soup.
Carrots: They are optional but help balance the tartness of the tomatoes.
Seasonings: dry oregano, salt, black pepper, and red chili flakes are the only seasonings you will need.
Olive Oil: use a good quality olive oil for cooking this soup.
Veg Broth: I prefer using water mixed with better than bouillon vegetable base to create my broth. But you can use your favorite one or a gluten-free option.
Please refer to the recipe card for exact measurements of ingredients.
How To Make Tomato Basil Soup in the Instant Pot (Stepwise Photos)
1 - Start Instant Pot on saute mode. Heat olive oil and stir in the onions, carrots and garlic. Saute until onions are translucent and raw garlic smell disappears.
2 - Stir in the salt, pepper, dry oregano, and red chilli flakes (optional).
3 - Add the tomatoes, basil, and vegetable broth. Mix well. Ensure nothing is sticking to the bottom of the pot.
4 - Close the Instant Pot lid with vent to sealing and cook on manual high for 5 mins. Followed by natural release. Open the lid.
5 - Puree the soup (using a hand blender) until smooth. Or wait for it to cool and then transfer to a blender.
6 and 7- Start the saute mode to bring the soup to a boil. Stir in some sugar to balance the tartness.
8 - Add freshly cracked black pepper, give it a taste, and adjust seasoning (if needed).
Cozy and comforting vegan Instant Pot tomato basil soup is ready!!
Heat a heavy-bottomed pot on medium-high heat. Follow the same steps as 1, 2, and 3 mentioned for Instant Pot above. Bring the soup to a boil and then cover and cook until the tomatoes are soft.
Once tomatoes are cooked, puree and simmer the soup (steps 5 to 8 mentioned for Instant Pot above). Finish off with sugar, and adjust seasoning (if required). Delicious Tomato Basil soup is ready to serve!
Serve Tomato Basil Soup hot topped with croutons, grated parmesan cheese, and some basil leaves.
This soup is light and comforting and makes a great snack or light meal.
Allow the soup to cool completely before storing it in the refrigerator or freezer.
Refrigerator - Leftover soup can be stored for up to 4-5 days in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. Before serving heat it up on the stovetop or microwave.
Freezer - Make a big batch and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and then heat on the stovetop or microwave until hot.
Recipe Tips and Notes
Opt for ripe, juicy tomatoes for the best flavor. You can use fresh tomatoes when they're in season or canned tomatoes for convenience.
For a richer and deep tomato flavor, add 1-2 tablespoons of tomato paste. It also add a great color to the soup..
For a smoother consistency, use an immersion blender or a regular blender to puree the soup. Be cautious when blending hot liquids; allow them to cool slightly before blending.
For stovetop, make the soup in a heavy-bottomed pot or pan. This will help the heat distribute evenly so that the bottom of the soup doesn't scorch.
To make it creamy, add heavy whipping cream, half-and-half, coconut cream or coconut milk to keep it vegan.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, this soup will keep well covered in the fridge for up to 5 days, I often make a double batch to enjoy throughout the week. Let the soup cool completely before storing it in an airtight container.
This soup recipe is already vegan and gluten-free as is.
The main difference is that tomato basil soup includes fresh basil leaves, which give it a distinct flavor. Traditional tomato soup may not contain basil.
Yes, you can customize your soup by adding vegetables like roasted red peppers, carrots, or celery for extra flavor and texture.
I hope you enjoy this Tomato Basil Soup Recipe !! If you try this recipe, please rate it by clicking stars ⭐️ on the recipe card. Thank you ❤️! You can also follow me on Facebook and Instagram to see what’s cooking in my kitchen!!
Instant Pot Tomato Basil Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion 1 cup chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- ½-1 teaspoon red chili flakes or red chili powder or paprika, adjust to taste
- ½ teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 pounds tomatoes roughly chopped or 28 oz can of San Marzano tomatoes
- 12-15 fresh basil leaves reserve a few for garnishing, or 2 teaspoons dry basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon sugar or honey or agave, adjust depending on tartness of tomatoes.
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste optional but recommended
For serving (optional)
- freshly cracked pepper
- parmesan cheese
- bread croutons
Making Tomato Basil Soup in the Instant Pot
- Start Instant Pot on saute mode. Add oil and once hot stir in the onions, carrots, and garlic. Saute until onions are translucent and the raw garlic smell disappears.
- Stir in the salt, black pepper, dry oregano, and red chili flakes. Add the tomatoes, basil, and vegetable broth. Mix well. Ensure nothing is sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Close the Instant Pot lid with vent to sealing and cook on manual high for 5 mins. Followed by natural release.
- Open the lid and puree the soup (using a hand blender) until smooth. Or wait for it to cool and then transfer to a blender and blend.
- Start the Instant pot again on saute mode to bring the soup to a boil.
- Give it a taste and adjust salt and stir in some sugar to balance the tartness (if required).
- Tomato Basil Soup is ready! Serve it hot topped with freshly cracked black pepper, croutons, and parmesan cheese (optional)
Stove top version
- Heat a heavy-bottomed pot on medium-high heat. Add oil and once hot stir in the onions, carrots and garlic. Saute until onions are translucent and the raw garlic smell disappears.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, dry oregano, and red chili flakes. Add the tomatoes, basil, and vegetable broth. Give it a good mix.
- Bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15mins or until the tomatoes are soft.
- Puree the soup (using a hand blender) until smooth. Or wait for it to cool and then transfer to a blender and blend.
- Bring the pureed soup to a boil. Give it a taste, and adjust the salt and stir in some sugar to balance the tartness (if required).
- Tomato Basil Soup is ready! Serve it hot topped with freshly cracked black pepper, croutons and parmesan cheese (optional)