½ cup butter at room temperature
2-3 tbsp of sugar
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
For the Whipped Cream Frosting:
½ to ¾ cup powdered sugar (depending on the sweetness you like)
1 tsp vanilla extract
For step by Step tutorial Of Vanilla Sponge Cake Click this link
- Preheat oven to 350F. Take a baking dish (I've used two round 6 inch baking dishes for this post) & spray some cooking oil or butter & line it with parchment paper. Spray some cooking oil again on top too. This helps the cake to come out clean & prevents the cake from sticking to the baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the butter,sugar & condensed milk. Then add rest of the wet ingredients like milk, vinegar, vanilla essence and mix until smooth.
- Now in another bowl, sift all the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda and baking powder) together. Now add some flour at a time to the wet mixture & whisk. Continue doing this till you have mixed all the flour & you have a lump free batter. Do not over mix as that will result in hard cake.
- Divide the batter into two equal portions (roughly) Pour it into into previously greased baking dishes, spread evenly & bake in the oven for about 25-30 mins. At 30 mins mark, insert a toothpick or knife at the center of the cake, if it comes out clean (i.e. no batter stuck to it) that means our cake is done. Remove it from the oven & let it cool for around 10-15 mins in the pan after which transfer it to a wire rack.
- Allow to cool completely before you begin to frost. You can bake this at night and leave it on counter top to cool completely or store it in refrigerator until ready to frost.
For making Whipped Cream Frosting:
I've used KitchenAid stand mixer with Wire Hook attachment to make my frosting. You can use a regular whisk and clean bowl or hand mixer to do this frosting. Result will be same just that it may require some more time and effort. Prepare two piping bag with tips (using wilton 2A and 2D tips) and keep ready. Place the bag with tip inside in a large glass. Fold over the piping bag over the glass and keep ready.
Keep the Wire hook attachment and the bowl in freezer for 15 minutes before you make the frosting. Make sure the whipped cream is chilled and in the refrigerator. After 15 mins, remove the bowl and whisk and add cream to it. Starting low slowly increase the beating speed to medium high (6-8) Beat for about 2-4 mins or until you see the cream thickening. At this point add the sugar (begin with ½ cup and increase as needed) and vanilla extract. Starting low again or else the sugar will be all over your kitchen slowly increase the beating speed to medium high (6-8). Beat for another 2-3 minutes or until you see the cream has thickened and is keeping its shape (or forming stiff peaks).
- I've used the regular batter portion and divided it into two 6 inch round baking dishes to make 2 layer cake. You can either do the same or bake all the batter in one single tray (square or round). Or you can double the cake and whipped cream measurements to make a bigger 8 or 9 inch cake.
- Your cake needs to be completely cooled before you apply any filling or frosting to it. I prefer baking my cake at night & allow it to cool on cooling rack/refrigerator overnight. This way I am all set to fill & frost it the next morning.
- Whipped cream can get soft and runny when exposed to heat/hot climate. If at any time when you are working with frosting you find its becoming runny or liquidy, simply refrigerate the cake & or the filling/frosting for 10-15 mins or till you get a workable consistency.
- I've used eggless vanilla cake but you can definitely replace with the Eggless Chocolate cake recipe
That's it, our spongy, fluffy and fruity Vanilla Sponge Cake with Whipped Cream Frosting and Fresh Fruits is ready. Slice and serve. Enjoy!!