These mini tomato pesto tarts with puff pastry make a super easy and delicious appetizer. Made with flaky puff pastry squares topped with pesto, fresh tomato slices, cheese, and baked until crispy. These savory puff pastry appetizers are vegetarian, always a crowd-pleaser, and perfect for celebrations, festivals, game-day, or any occasion.
I made these tomato pesto tarts for Valentine's day party and they were a huge hit. They were so easy to put together, looked beautiful, and tasted even more delicious!!
The individual portioned pesto tomato puff pastry tarts are perfect for a crowd as everyone could grab one, no cutting required, no crumbly mess.
If you love tomato and pesto combo try this another crowd favorite recipe - Pesto Cream Cheese and Tomato Bruschetta
About the recipe
Tomato Pesto Tarts is yet another super easy appetizer made with the classic Italian combination of Basil Pesto, tomato, and cheese. You can never go wrong with this trio.
This is a savory tart recipe where pre-made puff pastry is used as a base, basil pesto as the sauce, and tomato and cheese as toppings. It's super simple and delicious!!
The best part is all the ingredients can be kept ready beforehand and just before the party assemble the tarts and bake. In less than 30 mins you will have a delicious, crispy, and flavorful appetizer ready.
To make these tomato pesto tarts, all you need is to thaw the pre-made puff pastry sheet, divide it into squares, layer each square with your favorite pesto, tomato slices, cheese and sprinkle some seasoning. Bake until crispy and serve!!
Fresh basil flavor combined with the juicy tomatoes over the crisp pastry works wonders making them a crowd favorite.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Easy and effortless
- Perfect even for beginners
- Vegetarian, beautiful and delicious
- Individual portion sizes
- Perfect for parties and gatherings
- Crowd pleaser recipe
Puff Pastry: It is a light, flaky pastry that can be made at home but I have used store-bought puff pastry sheets. Premade puff pastry sheets are easily available in the frozen aisle of most grocery stores. I love stocking on these as they come in really handy for a quick appetizer or snack. Be sure to allow enough time to thaw the pastry before making these tarts.
Tomatoes: Use fresh ripe tomatoes for this recipe, canned will not work. I have used ripe Roma tomatoes but you can use cherry tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes, tomatoes on the vine, or any of your choice.
Cheese: I use a combination of shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheese that I usually have stocked in my fridge. You can use cheese of choice Feta, pepper jack, cheddar, gruyère are some other great options.
Seasonings: salt, freshly cracked black pepper, dry oregano, dry parsley, and some red chili flakes (optional) for some heat.
How to make Tomato and Pesto Tarts (Stepwise)
Preheat the oven to 400°F and line the baking tray with parchment paper. Keep aside.
Thaw the puff pastry sheet on the counter as per package instructions (around 40 mins).
Step 1 - Unfold the thawed pastry sheet and divide it into 9 equal squares. Cut along the folds first to get three strips and then divide each into 3 squares to get a total of 9 squares. Place them on the lined baking sheet.
Step 2 - Add a teaspoon or two of basil pesto in the center of each square and spread evenly leaving ½ inch from the edges. Using a knife draw a rough border around the spread pesto (optional for border).
Step 3 - Next layer 2 slices (or as required) of tomato on each square over the pesto.
Step 4 - Sprinkle a pinch of salt, black pepper over the tomato slices and top off with cheese (as much as you like) followed by a sprinkle of oregano, parsley, and red pepper flakes.
Bake for 15-20 mins or until the puff pastry is golden brown and cheese has melted. Remove from the oven and let them cool on the sheet for 5 mins.
Easy, delicious, crispy, and flavorful Tomato and Pesto Tarts are ready. Serve these warm and crisp. Enjoy!!
These tomato pesto tarts are perfect to serve by themselves as finger food.
If you like, you can serve them with a small side salad or with soup in place of a grilled cheese sandwich for a light meal.
Puff pastry comes in packs of two. This recipe uses just one sheet so you can easily double the recipe and use both sheets or freeze one of the sheets for later.
Cook the tarts in a preheated oven so that they cook evenly. These tarts cook fairly quickly, so be sure to keep your eye on them so that the edges don't burn.
Use good quality, fresh and ripe tomatoes that will have the sweetest flavor.
You can dab the sliced tomatoes with a paper towel to soak up excess juice if required.
Frequently Asked Questions
These tarts are best served warm out of the oven, but you can make them an hour or so ahead of time and bake them when you are ready. If you have leftovers can be stored in the fridge for 2 to 3 days and reheat in the oven before serving.
I love the simplicity of these tarts, but you can easily add other toppings like different cheese, caramelized onions, other sliced veggies like mushrooms or zucchini.
Line the tarts in a single layer without overcrowding and bake at 370°F for 8-10 mins or until they are puffed, golden brown, and crispy. Time may vary depending on the air fryer.
More Puff Pastry Recipes
More Easy Appetizer Recipes
Hope you enjoy These easy tomato pesto puff pastry tarts! If you give this recipe a try, please rate by clicking stars ⭐️ on the recipe card. Thank you ❤️! You can also follow me on Facebook | Instagram to see what’s cooking in my kitchen!!
Tomato Pesto Tarts
- 1 sheet Puff Pastry thawed
- ½ cup Basil Pesto homemade or store bought
- 2-3 medium Roma tomatoes thinly sliced
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese shredded
- Salt adjust to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper adjust to taste
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano
- 1 tablespoon dry parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon red chili flakes
- Preheat the oven to 400F and line the baking tray with parchment paper. Keep aside.
- Thaw the puff pastry sheet on the counter as per package instructions (around 40 mins).
Making Tomato Pesto Tarts
- Unfold the thawed pastry sheet and divide it into 9 equal squares. Cut along the folds first to get three strips and then divide each into 3 squares to get a total of 9 squares. Place them on the lined baking sheet.
- Add a teaspoon or two of basil pesto in the center of each square and spread evenly leaving ½ inch from the edges. Using a knife draw a rough border around the spread pesto (optional for border).
- Next lay 2-3 slices of tomato on each square over the pesto.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt, black pepper over the tomato slices and top off with cheese (as much as you like) followed by a sprinkle of oregano, parsley, and red pepper flakes.
- Bake for 15-20 mins or until the puff pastry is golden brown and cheese has melted. Remove from the oven and let them cool on the sheet for 5 mins.
- Easy, delicious, crispy, and flavorful Tomato and Pesto Tarts are ready. Serve these warm and crisp. Enjoy!!
Update Notes: This post was originally published on Feb 19, 2015, but was republished with, step by step instructions, new photos, tips, in Jan of 2022.